1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Guidelines are guidelines"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The mods are playing Whack-a-Doodah tonight.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I believe that when people are out an extended time they can submit an independent study plan so they get credit for the time outside of school. If this was available but kid said nothing, he bears some responsibility. Now yes, I empathize with someone who has a mother with terminal cancer but will not pretend to know what he went through. I just point this out so that you don't automatically rail on the administrators who are caught blind-sided at the end.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

wait one god damn minute: donna martin graduated?

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The "guideline" (or whatever) relates to "unexcused" absences.

Being sick, going to a funeral, etc., are "excused" absenses, aren't they? So the kid simply talks to whatever administrative person handles this LONG IN ADVANCE OF GRADUATION DAY to count his absenses as "excused." You don't just not show up time and again without letting people know what's going on.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Do we have that kind of luck?

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Caught blind-sided? you mean they didn't expect a negative reaction?

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Off-topic, but does your shop need any interns? I know one I can steer your way.

8. Quiet Man

Quiet Man Active Member

I bet my money on the bob-tailed nag.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Or, maybe the kid did and the administrator wouldn't count them as excused absences. The story didn't say how much in advance he told them. It did say that he talked to the principal, who gave the "Guidelines are guidelines" quote.

Plus, in a small town, you'd think someone in the school would have known about his mother's illness.

Draft saved Draft deleted