1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Guidelines are guidelines"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Kinda a real-life "Donna Martin graduates" thing, only it's not for some stupid Beverly Hills drinking thing.

High school senior misses 16 days of school, and the school won't let him go to the prom or walk at graduation because the rule is a student can only miss 14 days.

The reason why he missed so many days? His mom has terminal breast cancer, and he was working two jobs to support them and was at home taking care of her when she needed him.

http://fox8.com/2012/04/13/teen-who-cared-for-sick-mom-not-allowed-at-graduation/

Of course there's now a petition. And rightly so.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

When I was at another university, we faculty had this discussion a lot: "Whats the difference between a guideline and a rule." Semantically "guideline" implies some leeway, whereas "rule" does not. Extensive experience showed that this is truly how they're different:

If you're an administrator, every rule is simply a guideline. When you say you can't (or won't) do something because it's against the guidelines, what you're really saying is "I don't want to do this, but I don't want to come out and say it."

If you're an underling, every guideline from on high is a rule. And every rule you try to enforce can be overturned by those above you because, after all, it's just a guideline to them.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So guidelines are rules?

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Simple.

Boycott the whole deal.

Rent a hall in a relatively nearby city (Canton is 20 miles away), stage your own ceremonies there, and nobody -- not one person -- shows up for the "official" ceremonies. Except reporters there to take pictures of the empty hall. Hold your "Alternaprom" at a nearby motel.

And if any of the official toadies start talking about withholding diplomas or any of that crap, lawyer up fast and go nuclear. Don't screw around with "negotiations" -- threaten huge class action lawsuits right out of the box.

Put the gun to their heads. They'll blink.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm sure the organizers of an alternative prom would not have to pay a dime if some classmates decide to do this. Plenty of businesses would line up for the inexpensive marketing and PR opportunity.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I thought the Code was more or less guidelines.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Of course this all presumes that the story is really legit, and the kid didn't spend 12 of his 16 absence days slugging down beers rather than taking care of mom.

I am sure that the highly-credible teevee station checked all this out ahead of time. Unless they just wanted to get a wildly-sensationalized story on the air. Highly unlikely considering the source. ::) ::)

But, assuming the story is fully on the level, lawyer up and let 'em have it.

8. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Guidelines are for administrators who have the common sense and the courage to make decisions based on facts.

Rules are for administrators lacking common sense and courage.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Beat me to it.

And why is the rum gone?

10. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

If anyone is actually interested, an introduction to the difference between rules, standards, and principles as they relate to the law:

http://lsolum.typepad.com/legaltheory/2012/04/legal-theory-lexicon-rules-standards-and-principles.html

11. Count me as skeptical of the story, but if you're the administration, why bother risking looking like a jackass for such a stupid rule?

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

http://www.change.org/petitions/allow-austin-fisher-to-walk-and-graduate-with-his-2012-class-after-caring-for-his-sick-mom

sign the petition

Draft saved Draft deleted