1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guide to asking a girl to prom in a way that makes 'no' impossible

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Feb 28, 2014.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If I was a celebrity, male or female, I'd gladly accept prom offers provided they met my $5,000 appearance fee (and expenses) to raise money for my charity.

I guess it's nice to know there are more creeps in The Bachelor pipeline.

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Do you really think it was original then?

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

This is only the third biggest cliche of the "viral video" age, after:

1. Soldier returning from deployment surprises his kids at school/athletic event

2. School allows "special needs" student to score touchdown/shoot basket or elects her homecoming queen

Frankly, I'm sick of all of them and their feeling that they're entitled to media coverage and/or pats on the back from society.

4. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Soldiers returning home and surprises loved ones videos are awesome. That is a f**king fact.
    Doesn't even belong in the conversation with this prom crap.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Agree. Soldiers coming home videos never get old. Especially since this war isn't of the type that we'll be able to end with a peace treaty and a parade. They deserve our thanks.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Yup. I don't care how many different ones I see, I can never get tired of a young kid being ecstatic to see his/her returning soldier dad/mom.

7. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

While I do get misty about the soldier homecoming videos I also tend to think that moment should be private. I kind of feel creepy watching, I guess I think some things should not be so public.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

It sure sucks to let somebody whom government/society has shit on have a moment in the sun.
    We should keep gratifying fucktards like Octomom and Justin Bieber.

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Fuck that...I'm with SS. Screw the baby killers. Tosh nailed it last season with his remix.

http://tosh.comedycentral.com/video-clips/m7wswn/scary-soldiers

I, of course, say that as a joke, but yes...I'm sick of those videos. And Fuck You Budweiser for exploiting it as a commercial.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

My ire was directed not at those being honored, but at the organizers who demand coverage. Yeah, we'll get right on it, right after we cover the other three going on this week.

11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Seriously. If you can't appreciate the three minutes of pure joy a soldier gets for sacrificing and risking his life and putting in a tour in some of the worst parts of the world all so that you can enjoy the freedom to sit at home and whine about how they get too much coverage, you don't deserve to have that freedom in the first place.
    Show some f**king respect.
    I don't care if three million soldiers bombard me every week and ask me to write a story about their return home. The fact that they are returning home after leaving so I would never have to leave mine means I'll gladly do it. And anyone who wouldn't needs to have their priorities examined.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I am a hardened cynic and it's never dawned on me this might be insincere.
    I will admit there is something stagey about the round of applause for the boys at the airport, and such.
    I revere them in my private thoughts, I don't need to stand up and clap at a food court so everyone looking on thinks I'm a good person for doing so.

Draft saved Draft deleted