1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guess this is why the Lions are the Lions

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Touche.

Point: BYH

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Does someone else want to deencrypt this chickenshit? I left my Frosted Alpha-Bits decoder ring back in the playroom.

Chuck Schmidt went from vice president of finance to chief operating officer in less than 10 years. If that doesn't tell you something about the management structure in Detroit, then nothing will. Schmidt had no acumen as a personnel guy and was light years better than Millen.

And the old man is still sharp as a tack.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Since Russ Thomas, the Lions have never had a football guy as GM. (And one could argue Russ Thomas wasn't a football guy either).

I think Ford went with Millen because he wanted a football guy in that position. But Millen's only connection to football is that he played, which doesn't always make the best front office people.

4. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I actually thought he got the job based on his commentary performance.

5. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I was at the Thanksgiving Day game. I spent the night in MoTown. Word on the local sports talk radio Friday was that Millen still shows up every game, still makes his way into the press box and still shakes the hands of media men, smiles and looks happy. The show host was less than impressed with Millen's demeanor, considering the Lions' circumstances.

The host's quote was something like "he still dresses and acts succesful even though he's clearly an utter failure."

And, earlier in the week, I heard one host suggest that Millen hold a monthly press conference to address issues and questions from media, like they do in other NFL cities.

Question: Do they do that in other cities?

As for Ford. He's never seen nor heard.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Five years of diminishing returns for a franchise that was seemingly near bottom when he took it over. That's more than enough time to determine he's completely misplaced in the job.

And it's not just the performance. It's that he's continually drafted deadbeats...all at the same position! Less than two years after he was drafted, it takes TWO injuries in the WR corps to get Mike Williams off the scout team and on the active roster. And Charles Rogers is probably high as we type.

7. Overrated

Overrated Guest

That team was 9-7 and a Paul Edinger FG away from making the playoffs when he took over.

But, he immediately cleaned house to bring in more "speed."

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Thanks for the correction, PO. It just seems like they've been bad forever.

9. Overrated

Overrated Guest

No, you're right. Thank god I got to watch Barry for a decade.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

But you don't see Millen on camera during a game. It used to be they would show 3-4 shots of him in his box.

When Ford Jr. had a bigger part on the team, you would seem him in the box too.

But you hardly ever see Millen on camera anymore.

That's been the only good thing of being a Lions fan.

11. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

He was awful because the team was awful. He was blamed for everything last year, and yet, the Lions are worse than last year. For some reason, Dre Bly has been silent this year, now that his whipping boy is gone.

As for Millen, I'm convinced he has pictures of the Fords.

12. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Terry Foster of the Detroit News is reporting he's heard rumors that Millen may be fired on Monday or Tuesday after another lackluster Thanksgiving performance by his team.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061126/SPORTS08/611260340/1004/SPORTS

Draft saved Draft deleted