1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guess this is why the Lions are the Lions

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, Nov 23, 2006.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Congratulations Chuck, you just made Full-On Fanboy status!

2. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I'm really honored to be considered to be one of the greats. Indiansnetwork,Jimmy Olson, I mean the list goes on and on. All I kind do is just go out there and do my best.

3. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Thank you for someone finally mentioning William Clay Feet Ford.

As long as he owns the team, the Lions will me the flailing car industry of the NFL.

4. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I don't understand the problem with Ford owning the team...other than his reluctance to fire Millen.

He's not cheap. He spends money on free agents. He doesn't meddle. Ford isn't judging the talent and/or maturity level of players.

The front office is the problem. Not Ford.

Besides shaking up management, what else can he do that he doesn't already?

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think the issue is that whenever he hires new people for the front office, they always stink. When they do stink it up, he is always slow to move in removing them. Does anyone else think that Millen would have been out of there by now with any other team in the league?

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

What he said.

The Lions have always spent money and been middling-to-very aggressive in free agency.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

But my point is whenever the Ford's do shake things up in the front office, they have proven poor in their selection of new GM's etc.

Even if you're spending money and being aggressive in free agency, if the person spending the money is going after the wrong players, and drafting the wrong players - need we bring up the first round receivers fiasco again - you're headed for trouble.

With the return they have gotten for the aggressiveness and money spent, wouldn't it make sense to replace someone who has proven incapable of doing the job, no matter how much you may like him?

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I am obsessed with the Lions.

9. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I agree with you 100 percent. My question was, other than the front office problems, what has Ford done wrong?

Nothing.

10. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

And what's worse? Bly is STILL a CAPTAIN on this team, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, Bly, who had so much to say last year and even leading into this game, avoided all media after Thursday's loss.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think the problem the fans have is just that. When the team tanks season after season, the Ford family does....Nothing.

Their inactivity in finding a solution for the team, and even extending Millen, is what draws the ire.

They may be unpopular for meddling in team affairs and other reasons, but you can argue that at least Jerry Jonesand his ilk are proactive in trying to make their teams better.

Mr. Ford, while hands-off, doesn't appear to care whether they improve or not. So they stick with Millen, who's a great guy in their opinion, and nothing changes.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Correct, he's still a captain along with James Hall on defense. Jon Kitna and Dominic Raiola on offense and Donte Curry on special teams.

Bly is a cancer in the lockerroom, much like Dmitri Young was with the Tigers. He divides the lockerroom into two factions.

Draft saved Draft deleted