1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guess the Web site

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Diabeetus, May 25, 2009.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Almost difficult to tell what site you're on because of the ads. Is this extreme ad whorish behavior where sites have to go to be profitable?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You want websites to continue, and you want to continue to read them for free, they're going to have to make money, and big ads are a part of it. Newspapers will benefit from more of these, too. Hopefully, the way they're handled will limit the intrusion and allow you to collapse the big ads or whatever, but they're not going anywhere and should be welcomed. The alternative is less to read.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

The Firefox ad-blocker is terrific. I go to that site and see zero ads.

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Really? I call BS, because even with using the most up-to-date Firefox browser and AdBlocker, it still doesn't give me the option to disable those ads.

Some Web sites have gotten smart about it and prevented users from doing so. ESPN is one of them.

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I'm not kidding. The closest thing to an ad I see now is the "Streak for Cash presented by Progressive."

You might check the Firefox add-on options. There's two or three ad-blockers.

6. Paper Guy

Paper Guy Member

asblocker plus ftw..havent had an ad on espn or sj for years!

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Same here. Using Firefox, and all I see is the Progressive thing.

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I used adblock for awhile, but sometimes it blocks content, too. So I just deal with them, I guess.

9. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

What kind of content did you find it blocking? I'd hate to think I'm missing something.

10. Paper Guy

Paper Guy Member

You do have to sometimes be careful about what you block. Adblock will block just about anything if you tell it to. But you can usually tell if something is being blocked. I can look at ESPN and see where most of the ads should be. If something like a video should be there, you can usually tell if you know what to look for.

11. I Digress

I Digress Guest

er, that's vitaminwater's page? ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted