1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guess Oprah's Monday sports guest ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by thebiglead, Apr 13, 2007.

1. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

<a href="http://www.kansascity.com/159/story/69589.html">It's the first time you'll want to watch Oprah ... </a>

Sorry for this being the 2,185th thread on the guy, but this seems like kind of a big deal, no?
    This puts him in what I can only imagine is an elite sportswriter class: Albom and Lupica. They appeared on Oprah, right?

*ducks*

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

No need to duck, biglead. I'll catch the shit that comes off the fan. ;)

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I might actually watch Oprah. I like Whitlock, even if I don't always agree with him.

Cue sportbruh with an asinine comment about Whitlock being fat.

4. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Allen Iverson voice: 'We're talkin' about OPRAH!'

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Will Whitlock bust out the pimp hand on Oprah?

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Whitlock's making the rounds. Good for him. He has been getting a lot of pub lately.

IMO, deservedly so.

Look, everyone on here knows I like Jason, but if he remembers, he'll tell you - I used to write him emails totally dogging him out back in the Page 2 days, etc for stuff I thought he was wrong about. That is, I'm not 'in the tank' for Jason.

What I respect about Jason is that he sees a legitimate issue - a crisis, actually - in the black community and its various cultural branches/outlets (NBA, hip-hop, etc) and he's trying to do something about it, trying to talk about it in a way someone who is not African-American wouldn't be able to do nearly as successfully (as I mentioned in another thread about JW, the example of DP Moynihan's scholarly study of the difficulties facing black Amercia in the 1970's comes to mind; Moynihan received tremendous flak for the study).

J-Dub could just sit back and write a bunch of BS and soak in the cash, as many others are doing, and easily live off of the current culture's coattails.

But he's not. And I feel he's doing it not because he's trying to be contrarian - or be a Alan Keyes, if you will - but because he really believes in what he's writing and because he feels a responsibility to say something, something which can hopefully help others.

A lot of people here don't like JW, which is fine. But it's tough to deny he has a lot of impact. And he's trying to do something good with that exposure now. Good for him. That's a lot more than can be said about a Loopy or an Albom, IMO.

JW was clearly influenced by his Page 2 colleague, Ralph Wiley, among others. Wiley brought it straight, regardless of the race of the subject(s), and his writing had effect.

It's good to see that the CNNs and Oprahs of the world have woken up to this discussion. I'm not sure that the back-and-forth JW has been having with various media personages (Scoop, etc.) isn't one of the most appropriate, needed dialogs for the minority community (and the larger community) that is around today. Good for him.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I think the critical issue is....

What should he wear?? I hope not a tie. He really should run this by us before deciding.

8. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Not surprisingly, a woman has circumvented all the extraneous nonsense and cut to the quick of the matter. :)

Kevlar, perhaps? :D

9. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Whitlock definitely is making the rounds, except, of course, on any of the ESPN platforms. Guess there some truth to that internal not-allowed-on list.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Same here.

Cue any of the dozens of Whitlock-bashers to chime in...

11. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Yeah, what a surprise. :)

Has Loopy ever been on Oprah? ;)

12. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

spnited is ecstatic!

Draft saved Draft deleted