1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guess in which states election laws are tightening?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I live in a rich, predominantly white area and I had to wait 90 minutes in line to vote in a midterm election.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Your experience is extremely unusual.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Was the precinct also a Lexus dealership? Maybe they got behind on the tire rotations.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yes, sorry, I do not see why one Constitutionally protected right would be treated differently than another.

If you need ID to run for office, then you should need it to vote.

There should not be a different standard.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Gotta disagree with you in part YF, if only for the practical element of it ... if you're not eligible to run for office, likely as not it's going to be found out. If you're not eligible to vote, however, it's not quite such a drop-dead certainty it'll be found out.

I think it not too burdensome to require ID at the polling place, since in the five states in which I've voted I've been required to produce a registration card. OTOH, I also think picture identification of the sort that would suffice SHOULD be provided free of charge.

6. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Just to be devil's advocate...isn't requiring an ID with a picture just another sign of government interference in our every day lives? Does that go against the grain of always wanting less government intrusion? Or is this good intrusion?

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

It's not interference in the lives of the people passing the laws. That's why they're OK with it.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Money is government's intrusion into our lives. Once goverments started printing money, it went downhill from there. In fact, once humans agreed to establish governments, they let government intrude in their lives.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You want the government to provide something free of charge?

Another moocher.

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Oh, come on. This isn't a problem for the "working class." It's a problem for the homeless class. Which is still a problem, but spare me the exaggeration.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If you read my post, it is in reference to the long lines at lower-income polling precincts. Those longer lines discourage people from voting when they have to be at work, for instance, at an appointed and inflexible time. (I understand that people are guaranteed the right to vote, but I don't think a lot of people, employees or bosses, play by those rules.)

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Outing: YF is ....

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.