1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guess in which states election laws are tightening?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Careful, lest some on here interpret this as a poll tax.

If the requirement to be eligible to vote is that you be a citizen, it follows that proof of citizenship should be a requirement to actually vote. I've never understood why anyone would have a problem with this.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

A driver's license still isn't proof of citizenship.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Coming up next on Strawman Theater.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Except you didn't mention anything about constitutionally protected rights in your original post.

And besides, I have the right to live in a free society. I should be free from demands to prove who I am.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

You can be. No one's forcing you to fly on American Airlines or open a bank account. But then voting is different from those things.

Remarkably enough, there are millions of people in America who have NEVER flown on an airplane or had a bank account or owned a car. They live in a world so far from your own that you can't even conceptualize it. But they STILL have the right to vote, just the same as you do.

This is not and has never been about voter fraud. It's about disenfranchisement, plain and simple.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You ignored my first point. If you've proven your citizenship when you registered to vote, wouldn't a driver's license then prove your identity, and thus your eligibility to vote?

And, while a Social Security card does not prove citizenship, the only foreign nationals who have them are permanent and temporary residents who have permission to work.

If you needed one to register to vote, it would be very easy to look up your eligibility. The Social Security Administration absolutely knows whether or not you are a citizen.

It would eliminate anyone in the country illegally, and if a non-citizen use one in an attempt to register, it would be very easy to identify them, prosecute them, and deport them.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I was getting ready to get all fighty in this thread, but you nailing this issue and are doing it better than I would. Keep up the good work!

8. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Since you have brought it up, what is proof of citizenship and when do you need to prove it?

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Why not just answer the question?

You made a blanket statement. If there are exceptions to your statement, please let me know what they are.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you can't take the steps to be able to prove who you are, be it by social security card, birth certificate, passport, driver's license, school ID or anything, then you probably should not be voting.

This isn't a rich vs. poor issue, it's an accountability issue.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

No. Citizenship changes, for one thing.

There is NO evidence whatsoever that this is occurring on anything remotely resembling a scale, let alone a large scale. Simply none.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

An identification of any sort (not necessarily government-issued) and a signed affidavit declaring yourself to be a citizen should be plenty.

If the government then has cause to believe you committed the crime of voter fraud, they can conduct an investigation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.