1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guess I'll have to take Lavin's wedding gift back...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jul 10, 2007.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

From an LAT blog:

Coach Lav Leaves His Wedding Guests at Home!

Former UCLA men’s basketball coach Steve Lavin is scheduled to marry Mary Jarou on August 17 at the elegant Montage Resort & Spa in Laguna Beach. Then comes today’s e-mail to his wedding guests, verified by an invitee who received it:

"Update from the Jarou/Lavin wedding headquarters in Newport Beach.

"Unexpectedly we have received a stunning 95% RSVP on sent out wedding invitations. As a result, our wedding guest list has far exceeded the maximum capacity for a traditional ceremony and reception at The Montage Resort.

"After giving serious consideration to alternative plans we have decided the best option at this late stage is to head to Europe to create a magical wedding day.

"Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconveniences this change in our wedding plans may have caused you.

"We are sorry that we will not be able to share our big day with family and friends. We will be sure to send you photos of our wedding upon our return from Europe.

" Please confirm that you received this email.

"Thanks in advance for your understanding.

"Warm regards,
    Steve & Mary"

There’s no doubt that this is unusual protocol for a wedding, but the biggest surprise will be to the hotel. A staff member in the Catering Office told us that the event is still on their schedule!

2. markvid

markvid Guest

Uh...don't send that many invites in the 1st place?
    Selfish to the highest degree.

3. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Beep!
    Beep!
    Beep!

My gosh sonny, what is that beeping?
    I think that's your um, blackberry Grandma.
    My, my, wha? I haven't canned berries in years.
    No, Grandma, your blackberry that Stevie got you. Here, let me read it.
    It says Stevie and Mary are getting married in Europe.
    WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Must have seen Sicko and decided to get access to better health care.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Actually, 95 percent positive RSVP is a really high number. Event planners tell you to expect 20-30 percent of invitees to decline. Not because you don't want them there, but because you expect not everyone to be able to attend on your chosen date. Especially when that date is short notice, like this one seems to be.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I sent out way more invitations than I expected to be there.

We invited about 220, planned on about 180 and got about 145. 95 percent RSVP, I'm headed to Vegas.

7. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I can't figure out how to post her pics here, but check out this link -- it's DEFINITELY worth it. :eek:

I'll call one of the five pics mildly NSFW, although it's just a fully-clothed modeling still.

Lavin getting it done. A 23-year-old actress. Way to go, Steve-O.

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/hh/1706025/HH/1706025/iid_921958.jpg.html?path=pgallery&path_key=Jarou,%20Mary%20Ann

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

it's like overbooking a flight; but you'd never see American or Delta cutting and running...

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

The hall where we got married had a 200 minimum. We invited 200. We weren't going in for more than that just so we could wind up with 200. The heck with that. We had about 40-45 people turn us down, so we paid for them not to show. But if we'd gotten 90-95 percent, we'd have been able to handle.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Wonder if she's knocked up and starting to show, and they wanna keep it on the hush-hush.

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

As if everybody couldn't do the math?

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Given that it's LA, it'd be a stupid attempt at an end-around to keeping it secret, but who knows?

Draft saved Draft deleted