1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

gruden, jaworski defend reggie bush...stay classy espn

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by noodles, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Good idea.

I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

They deserve the A-Bomb as much as Smoo did.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Between this and the Michael Vick slurp-o-rama Sunday on FOX, the barf bucket got a good healthy workout.

I'm much less concerned (i.e. almost to the point of absolute zero) about Bush, because all that was about was breaking bullshit NCAA rules, while Vick sadistically and mercilessly slaughtered innocent animals, but that's our motherfucking sports media culture: everybody is always innocent, all the time, nobody did anything, can't prove a thing. The media becomes accomplices in systematic ass-scrubbing and alibi-spinning.

3. Eeeeeasy, Big Fella.

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

If anyone is all up in arms about Reggis Bush, you need to take a step back and take a long, hard look at yourself.
    The award is for the best college football player. In the eyes' of the voters, that was Bush. Was he getting some cash under the table? Yup. A lot of it. But it doesn't matter. The award is for the best college football player, and that was Bush.
    And for the record, I hate college football and think everyone who gets all fired up about this needs to recheck their life's priorities.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Um....

The criteria for the award is that it goes to the best "amateur" player in college football. Bush, as it turns out, was NOT an amateur. Therefore, he retroactively does not qualify for it.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Well if it goes to the best amateur, I guess we are looking at the first ever long snapper winning the award.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. JackReacher

I'm just saying what the rules are. It's obvious a ton of college players were and are taking money. Bush just got unlucky and was caught.

8. Starman

"Amateurism" is complete fucking bullshit anyway so I don't really care about Bush other than the fact that he certainly knew he was violating the rules.

Vick is a depraved personality and should still be in jail and never allowed to play in the NFL again.

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

We know that USC has disassociated itself from Bush.
    On the broadcast of the USC-Minnesota game last Saturday, the announcers -- Mike Bellotti was the analyst, don't know the play-by-play guy -- if I got it right, said that USC would welcome back Bush under three conditions: official apology to the school, $1 million donation and finishing his undergraduate degree.
    I had not heard that before. Is that common knowledge?? Were the announcers wrong??

10. JackReacher

What does Vick have to do with Bush and Gruden/Jaws?

11. Starman

Presuming the quote is at least somewhat accurate, where did USC come up with the figure of $1 million?

Never mind, it's a rhetorical question -- somebody just plucked it out of the air, of course.

It's not a number representing the damages done to USC or the "illicit benefits" enjoyed by Bush, it's not a number representing anything concrete at all, it's just a really big and impressive number somebody decided to pluck out of the air.

Which of course brings to mind the old Winston Churchill anecdote: "Madam, would you have sex with me for five dollars?"

Parallel examples 30 hours apart of broadcast crews apparently adopting an agenda/talking points campaign to scrub clean the ass of a disgraced player (in both cases pretty much caught dead-to-rights guilty). The FOX crew doing the Eagles-Lions game Sunday simply could not shut up about what a fine, admirable human being Michael Vick is and what a brave, courageous job he had done overcoming the tragic adversity which had shockingly befallen him (the nature of which of course they were very very careful to avoid discussing).

12. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

You sure? The Heisman Trust mission statement makes no mention of the word amateur when describing the recipient of the award. It says the award goes to the best college football player.

Draft saved Draft deleted