1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

gruden, jaworski defend reggie bush...stay classy espn

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by noodles, Sep 20, 2010.

1. noodles

noodles Member

Mike Tirico sets up Ron Jaworski and Jon Gruden early in tonight's game to comment on Reggie Bush having to give back his Heisman, and both guys fret about all the fuss.

Jaworski says Bush should keep the Heisman because it represents only what he accomplished on the field. Gruden insisted people leave Reggie Bush alone and let him do his job because he's a good kid and a fine football player.

Hello? He and his family took thousands of dollars in cash and gifts while he was an amateur. He was as dirty as dirty gets.

Again, another example of pro guys turning their blind eyes to college. To each, it's as if it didn't happen because it happened in college, not in the pros.

Nice message, douche bags.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

So you're saying that arguing he shouldn't have lost his Heisman is indefensible? I'm not sure it's that open-and-shut ...

3. noodles

noodles Member

It is in the eyes of the Heisman Trust. Bush likely gave it back because they were thisclose from taking it. Open and shut case? Pretty close when you look at the mountain of evidence the NCAA has against him.

The Heisman goes to the best amateur football player. Bush gave that up months before he stepped to the podium in New York. Pretty hard to argue a case for him, isn't it?

4. Steak Snabler

Whatever. I just don't think it's worth being outraged about. I've never been big on going back and erasing history, whether it's stripped Heisman winners, vacated wins or nullified Final Fours.

5. noodles

noodles Member

Sounds like something someone from ESPN would say ;D

6. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

If it's going to crucify Reggie Bush and swipe his award, I think the NCAA needs to take a much larger look at the bigger picture. This happens all the time, and the fact that it's a Heisman winner is why it's making such big news. Trying to catch all the violators would be like police departments trying to catch all snatch-and-grab robbers. It isn't going to happen.

Clearly the NCAA was out to make a point, but it's just a walking contradiction.

7. Steak Snabler

Partly truth and partly fiction.
    Taking every wrong direction on his lonely way back home.
    [kris kristofferson]

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

So you let them all go? Not seeing the logic there.

9. noodles

noodles Member

Think Jaworski and Gruden would take the same stances if they were working college games on CBS? Not a chance. It's the NFL, it's ESPN. They're joined at the hip. No use biting the hand that feeds you.

It's OK Reggie, we forgive you. No big deal. Just play some football.

10. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I'm not saying let them go, but it's going to create insane amounts of havoc. For example, Maurkice Poucey was investigated for alleged relations with his now agent, the same guy who represented Reggie Bush. If he's found guilty, does Florida forfeit its national championship. And if they do, does it remain vacant, like the Heisman.

I'm fairly certain there's been at least one guy on every national championship team who has violated one or more of the roughly billion NCAA rules. And the NCAA needs to be consistent.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Except there are plenty of people who are allowed to be snatch and grab robbers by the NCAA, and they consider it legal. It's only a certain group that's not allowed to be snatch and grab robbers (i.e. the athletic students).

And Noodles, there's nothing dirty, as you put it, about Bush and his family receiving the money. Against the NCAA's version of the rules? Of course. But there was nothing immoral about them taking the money when there are plenty of other people making money.

Heck, I just saw an ESPN the Mag article (from when, I'm not sure) that detailed some of the perks that football coaches get. They get the finest cars, each and every year. They get private airplane access. No one things they're immoral for getting whatever they can.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

When you get caught cheating on your taxes, give them the, "Well, shit, everyone does it" defense and let me know how far it gets you.

Draft saved Draft deleted