1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gruden in, Kornheiser out on MNF

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 18, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Stop it. I'm blushing. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Packers MNF games just got 100 percent more listenable without Kornheiser fawning over Brett Favre.

I was beginning to think Kornheiser was Peter King's fluffer given how obsessed he was with Favre during the broadcasts.

3. JackReacher

Check any of the major sports sites. I'm sure they have it. Might not have had it first, but I'm guessing they had it pretty quickly.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I feel the same way Mrs. Rome does, for 15 minutes once every few months Rome's manageable.

though, obviously, for different reasons

5. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I enjoy Tony Kornheiser in print, on the radio, on PTI AND on MNF. I am sorry to see him go.

Since I have this nagging suspicion that Jon Gruden will want another head coaching gig one of these days, I wonder how "candid" and "critical" he will be of bad teams. After all, the owners and GMs of those teams are the most likely places for him to get another head coaching gig... We shall see.

By the way, I know that MNF broke new ground with the "three man booth" back in the early 70s but is it possible that the "three man booth" has outlived its usefulness? Just asking...

6. JackReacher

NBC has a two-man crew, right? Just Michaels and who, Collinsworth? I like that lineup much better than MNF.

7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Side rant of my own, then: I hate all generalizations. Some of the usual suspects here DO bash everything associated with ESPN, and they know who they are. But while some of the WWL's output is definitely worthy of derision, there's also some damn good work being done there, regardless of what the SportsJournalists.com trolls say about it.

8. JackReacher

Since I have neither the time nor energy to sift through every post on SportsJournalists.com and find each and every person who has bashed ESPN for one reason or another, I generalized.

Sue me.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think Sportscenter is where 95% of the ESPN bashing is focused.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

This was SO wrong on SO many levels.

First of all, Gruden was outstanding on the NFL Draft. Much better than I ever expected him to be. He was more likeable on that day than he had been his entire coaching career.

Second, the best thing about this is that Kornheiser may now get back to producing the best radio show on the air.

Third, as promising as I think Gruden is, the BEST thing for MNF would be a two-man booth. A three-man booth is the most overrated idea ever produced in a meeting of execs.

The third man in an NFL booth is destined for a career of trying to make one-liners work in an atmosphere where the audience doesn't want one-liners.

11. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

My "opinion" is wrong.

Thanks. I just felt he came up there unprepared and did a lot of rambling while being carried along by the rest of the guys who were prepped on the draft for months.

It was kind of obvious. I don't think it will reflect what how he'll perform in the future, but I think the NFL Network put him up there on short notice.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm sorry. Yes, it was just your "opinion" that was wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted