1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gruden in, Kornheiser out on MNF

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 18, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I have no interest in listening to either of them.

2. noodles

noodles Member

One down, one to go - now if ABC can only boot Wilbon from that NBA pre-game show... What is it exactly Wilbon offers alongside Magic Johnson, anyway?

Why should anyone care what Wilbon has to say on the NBA? And for that matter Stuart Scott? Please, just go away. Wilbon and Mr. Tony are good on PTI, but that doesn't mean they belong on TV in other capacities.

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Well, MNF is an ESPN property, so it makes sense that ESPN would be the one to announce a lineup change, no?

And I'm interested to note that nobody has mentioned Gruden's college degree is in communications. From an SF Chronicle story in 2002:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. Gruden might be allright.
    During the NFL Network's Darft coverage, one of his cohorts was talking up the Steelers' [WARNING... WARNING....potential Steelers threadjack!!!!!] late round draft pick AQ Shipley...
    Gruden listened to the guy, who was raving about Shipley, and then said something to the effect that Shipley must be his next-door neighbor.

I won't miss Tony much. Then again, I usually watch MNF with the sound down and the radio on.

5. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Wilbon is TK lite. His coverage of the NBA playoffs has been horrid. Talking about the Lakers/Rockets series, he compared it up to a common soap opera with its off the court drama, which must have been created in the halls of ESPN because I have no idea what he was talking about.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Dude, that's so wrong.

But it never felt so right. :)

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I also found it at SI.com, for example. It's not a huge deal, but I do find it funny how ESPN gets such a bad rap, yet its site is always being linked. They must be doing something right.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Ryan, I'm a big Kornheiser fan too, but to me, he was not a good addition to those broadcasts.

As for your side rant on the ratio of espn bashes to links posted, I think most people post the first available link, which is frequently espn.

But I'll agree with you to this extent, anticipating Boom's comment (because I'll say it nicer): Why does everyone bash ESPN, but then congratulate our famous colleagues who end up there?

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

First link available means two things...

1. They CHOSE to visit ESPN.com first, despite ESPN being the worst thing in the history of sports TV.
    2. ESPN broke the news first, which is hard to believe given ESPN is the worst thing in the history of sports TV.

Not saying I love everything about ESPN, but rarely is there something from that network that gets praised on here. And often, very often, ESPN is the link provided for breaking news.

Like I said, it's a side rant to the bigger point here. I won't lose sleep over it, but I do think it's funny.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I caught that bit, too. Wasn't that the segment where the other guy (Mayock?) was holding his hands as if he was doing an impersonation of a Tyrannosaurus Rex in a ridiculous attempt to demonstrate how short Shipley's arms are?

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I agree with you 100%.

12. Ummm... in this case wasn't it ESPN's news to break? How is this different than a company putting out a press release about changing CEOs.

Draft saved Draft deleted