1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gruden in, Kornheiser out on MNF

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 18, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

To me, the only thing worse than Kornheiser on MNF was his radio show, on which he seemed to forget that his primary subject was supposed to be sports. Going off topic here and there is fine. Doing it so much that you never get back to the topic is annoying.

I say this having always enjoyed the man's writing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. I was struck by how good Gruden was during the draft. Funny as hell but also prepared. Engaging.

Kornheiser was horrifyingly bad.

I love this move.

3. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Gruden was brutal during his time on the NFL Network covering the draft.

But maybe he was just thrown up there with no preparation.

This is definitely a step up for MNF.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Nope. I grew up reading Tony, listened to his radio show, watched him on PTI, blah, blah, blah. I like the guy. Sure, there are things about him I don't like, but overall...yeah, I enjoy his work on all platforms.

Side rant...I love how everyone bashes everything ESPN, but when something breaks, 90 percent of the people who post the news provide links to ESPN.com. Not trying to start a holy war here....just saying.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Hell, that's exactly why I did like it.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Ok, this is funny.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The last few years it wasn't a sports show at all. Never claimed to be.

And honestly, the last thing I need is one more voice on the radio yammering about Michael Vick.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Same here. There are enough sports talk radio shows that follow the same, tired script. I like how TK mixed it up.

Kind of like how the Sports Junkies became just The Junkies here in the DC market.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

My first thought, too.

If The Comedy Channel did a MST3K version of MNF, I would want Tony. But it was too much to ask him to be funny without being irreverent

10. TK never bothered me at all.
    I'm pretty lukewarm on Gruden. Never dealt with him enough to predict how he'll come across. But I think what folks have to realize is that MNF is just another game now. There's a thought that the MNF crew has to be sui generis, largely because the Gifford-Cosell-Meredith trio actually was. Expectations for anyone in that booth are unreasonably high.

11. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

LOL!!!

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have typed this before, but with all of the notes and numbers on the screen, why is play-by-play even needed anymore?

Do I really need someone telling me what I am seeing in 52-inches of HD?

Give me Sapp and Gruden talking like they are sitting either side of me at a bar. And talking openly.

Draft saved Draft deleted