1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gruden fired

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jan 16, 2009.

1. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I think they hired Barry knowing this was coming. He had worked with Morris in Tampa before, if I'm not mistaken. So I don't think that means anything, really.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

What does Rob Parker think of that?

3. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

So does Morris call his own defense, as Gruden did the offense?

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Gruden should have been fired after going 4-12 two years ago.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't see any reason to crucify you over that, Sam. I do believe Cowher is going to insist on total control, but I'm not sure it is a good idea to give it to him, either. He did have a very large say in personnel moves in Pittsburgh, but he had plenty of very good help there.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Ditto. I think Shanahan wants a year off. He'd still get a boatload of money from Denver and can recharge his batteries after 13 years as a coach and a bunch as GM, too.

Cowher's been out two years. I suspect he's waiting for a particular job to open, but not sure which one. Carolina? Jacksonville? Someplace else?

It wouldn't shock me to see Tampa pursue Meyer, but I doubt he'd be interested in leaving Gainesville. He's king of the world there.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Mark this is an inside job. Morris and Dominik are going to be the next Coach and GM.

It appears that this was a typical Bucs/Glazer move. Remember when they extended Gruden and Allen last season? Announcement came at exactly the same time, Friday night, 6 p.m.

You know what else Friday was? 14th anniversary of the Glazer family buying the Buccaneers. Those guys know how to celebrate an anniversary.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Belichick and Coughlin are the only active coaches with rings, with one to join them in a few weeks.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Seriously, what took so long?

Gruden was the perfect coach for a team that just couldn't get over the hump, but as noted throughout this thread, he hasn't done shit to develop anything since 2002. He runs thru QBs like the rest of us run thru socks. If not for that perennially excellent defense, the Bucs might have been 3-13 a few times.

He'll land somewhere, but with the way Michael Clayton was just hammering him on ESPN, I'd imagine it's college and not the pros. The pros aren't buying his shit anymore.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I think he'll land in the nfl somewhere. If the manginious and others get a second chance after being fired, he will too especially with a super bowl ring. Give him a front office that can draft at least perennially average and I'd like to see what he can do.

And those who are running him down for not developing a QB, I think Simms was on his way to being a very capable starter until his spleen exploded on him. Kinda throws a wrench into the mix when your starter goes down like that and you have to rely on Gradkowski as an emergency starter and then scramble in the offseason to piece together something resembling an offence as you try and save your job. He and Garcia worked well together in getting him an extra year in Tampa, but it was time for a change.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Raheem Morris as head coach?

With a franchise that vetoed even considering Marvin Lewis because they wanted no part of another black coach after Tony Dungy?

12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

??

Draft saved Draft deleted