1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gruden fired

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Just curious as to why Brian Billick's name so rarely comes up in these discussions as a potential replacement coach, Not necessarily just for tampa, but the likes of St. Louis, Detroit, the Jets, etc.?

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Maybe NFL executives also think he's a pompous ass.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

He's a jack of asses, and not a very good coach, either.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I would buy completely into promoting Morris.

The guy is out of a similar mould to Mike Tomlin, the entire team respects the hell out of him.

I think there's a chance the Glazers did this because others, like the Broncos, were already sniffing around him, and they think they've got something pretty damn good who is ready to lead.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

If that's why they did, that's a lot of added pressure for a first-time coach.

6. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Not sure he's quite ready, but I didn't think Tomlin was ready, either, so what the hell do I know? He certainly will have the backing of the team, though.

7. Boyznblu80

Boyznblu80 Member

So how long before Gruden is in the running for the Jets job lol....If the Jets are smart...they better stick with Ryan as their top selection.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'm certainly not saying that's why they did it, but in this day and age, with the way coaches are getting snapped up at younger ages, it does lead me to believe this could have been a factor.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't get the timing, unless the owners realized the NFC South wasn't all that tough judging by how the Cardinals worked over the Falcons and the Panthers. Still, Gruden has time on his contract, he's too young to anoint a "coach in waiting." Why not see how it plays next season? Maybe get rid of Allen or order Gruden to overhaul his staff.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Based on the timeline today — they hired an assistant coach — and then they suddenly whacked Gruden and Allen. Clearly something happened today that made the idea of keeping them one more season either unworkable or impossible. I doubt it was just one specific thing by itself ... more like something that, on top of some other factors, took the situation past the tipping point.

11. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

ESPN's John Clayton reporting that, according to multiple sources, Morris will be the next coach and that Mark Dominik will be the new GM.

12. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Not a splashy move, but I like it. Totally fresh face, and the players absolutely love him. Not that I totally buy into coaches having to be buddy-buddy with the players, but it seems clear Gruden had lost a lot of that locker room. If Morris can get the current players on board and help recruit free agents, this could work for them.

Draft saved Draft deleted