1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gruden fired

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jan 16, 2009.

1. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Did someone assume that Meyer will be looking at it? I thought that had been shot down.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Holy shit.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Sapp said the Bucs scored more offensive touchdowns under Dungy than Gruden. Don't know if this is true, but it would be a powerful indictment.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I still think Gruden doesn't win the Super Bowl if the Raiders aren't the opponent - and the Raiders don't lose the Super Bowl if Gruden isn't on the other sideline.

He's a good coach no doubt, but suffered from Billick/Shanahan syndrome, couldn't develop a QB to save himself.

5. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

As a season ticket holder, and someone who has seen every Bucs game for the last decade, I'm not surprised at the firing, but at the timing. They must have someone in mind.

Parcells? :)

Gruden and Allen are paying the price for bad drafts and bad free agent signings. If it wasn't for Antonio Bryant (this year) and Ernest Graham (last year) falling into their laps, they would have missed the playoffs both years.

No one behind Garcia, no defensive depth.

To be fair, they've lost a ton of defensive assistants, and it was the defense more than the offense that collapsed down the stretch, but it was probably time for a change.

I would do backflips if it was Shanahan. Anyone else? Yawn.

6. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I will be shocked if it's not Shanahan. He says he hasn't spoken to them, but I bet his agent has. :)

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I would be surprised if Parcells ever coaches again.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If you're Shanahan, you have $18M coming from the Broncos over the next three years as long as you're not coaching. I could see him doing one of the network studio shows but that's about it.

9. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

True. But if he wants to coach, it could be one of the better jobs that's going to be available. On the same note, can the Bucs afford a huge salary if they have to pay Gruden something like $15 mil? Raheem Morris might end up being the guy, but I'd bet Shanahan's their top choice. I don't expect Cowher to change his mind on sitting out another year.

10. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Kudos to Pat Yasninkas' BLOG! on espn.com. He's got some good stuff.

Apparently the Glazer's want a GM and coach. So no Shanahan or Cowher. Raheem Morris is the top candidate.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcsouth/0-7-99/Glazers-toss-aside--25-million-in-major-shakeup.html

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Good idea to keep the coach and GM positions separated. And if that costs the Bucs both Mike Shanahan and Bill Cowher, so be it. Both are excellent coaches, but the former died wielding that additional sword in Denver and Cowher doesn't need that duty, either (I'm sure SteelersSJ will crucify me for this ... ).

And no surprise Pat is on this. He always was with his coverage of the Panthers in Charlotte. Not slacking off, either ...

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Gruden can win in the NFL with a good GM. I'm actually surprised the team did as well as it did the last couple of years given the overall talent. If Morris or another first-timer gets this job, it's not the worst gig to have. But there might be a down year or two as the new coach adjusts to a roster that is average at best. Of course, if the Glazers are willing to spend on a couple of top-tier free agents, this could be a good team sooner rather than later.

Draft saved Draft deleted