1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Growing up too fast...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, Jul 10, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yes, you're growing up way too fast. Because lord knows back in the day 10-year-olds didn't work on the family farm and then get married at 18.

We've spent the last hundred years trying to find more and more ways to stay immature longer. Me included.

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I'm not really into the meatmarket thing either, but I'll be damned if I can't go out on a Friday night with my buddy and talk some sH**. I'm not talking drinking 18 beers, but I do enjoy having a few to relax and catch up.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I'm not sure if that's awesome or completely sad that you actually counted the days.

As for me, I'm 25 and single, so there are certainly days when I want to go out and troll the bars, but yeah, at other times, I just want to hang out and chill. I'm sort of stuck in the middle, because about half of my friends are single, and the other half are in long-term relationships.

4. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Mikey, nobody likes a counter

Anyway, I am 29 now and I started to tire of the bar scene when I was in college, in Vegas nonetheless, then I got my job in a very small town and the other sports guy and I were going out like 4 nights a week. As we went on and on I started to tire of it. Now I am much more content to hang out with my lady and watch DVD's. Although when I go back to Vegas in six months for grad school, I am sure I will go out a little bit.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

After college, I didn't to hit bars too much. More often than not, a group of us who worked the night shift gathered at someone's house for a drink or two over Adult Swim, Sabado Gigante or whatever might be on TV at the time. Staying in with friends was all any of us really needed then.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Had plenty of fun in college, met my wife at age 21. We had a good time in the bars for about a year, but she got tired of it pretty quick. I still enjoyed 2-3 times a year, although I wished it was more, until we had our first son when I was in my late 20s.

A few years passed, and a second child came along, and I never went out. I found myself missing it, too. After roughly a six-year hiatus, on a couple of occasions, when my wife and kids were away visiting relatives, I hit a bar. And had a relatively poor time. I'm 10 years older than most of the patrons, and I felt like I totally outgrew it. The next year or so, I went out 3 or 4 times, and didn't have that great a time either.

I think I've finally grown up. And I'm in my mid-30s.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I count everything, always have. My brain holds more useless information than it really should. My ex-girlfriend often tells me what good I could accomplish if I put my "freak memory" to good use. Streaks are a big part of my life -- from hitting streaks to ... other streaks. People in college got a big thing out of the beer streak. When I walked into a bar, the first question usually asked was, "Have you had your beer yet?," followed by, "Let me buy it for you." When I stopped it -- strategically, if you can tell by the number, people were pissed. But I liked my liver and my bank account too much to keep up that pace.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Well, thank god you've bettered that with an even longer streak of not popping your top.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Yeah.

10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Did you stop because you broke Hank Aaron's number? Don't tell me that's the reason you went up to 756.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Yeah, and that jerk Barry Bonds made it all for naught. I should have went after Oh.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I figure I've put a few bar owners' kids through college, and still single in my mid-late 40s I have no reason to not go out. Yet, I've reached a point where I just wonder "What's the point?" I don't like the dehydrated feeling after drinking. SO many off my friends are married and/or not interested in going out.

I think it kind of changed for me when I started playing guitar at age 39. Now, instead of hitting abar on the way home from work, I'd rather be home on the couch playing my guitar.

Draft saved Draft deleted