1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Groupon hopes to raise $750M in IPO

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Jun 3, 2011.

1. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I don't understand most of the "deals" on Groupon. Most of the time it is complete and utter crap marked up and then marked down. Or stuff you can find cheaper other places.

There is a cool new smart phone app in a few larger cities called ScoutMob. I think its business model seems a little bit more sustainable. First, it is completely free to the user. Restaurants and businesses sign up and have to give at least a 50% discount, but they can cap the discount at X amount of dollars. So, for example, a restaurant can sign up and say 50% off, but with an $8 maximum discount. Then, when someone redeems the offer, they just show the cell phone to their waiter and press a button on their screen to use the deal. The restaurant then pays a small referral fee to ScoutMob for the customer.

I can't believe any smart investor would have purchased Groupon stock. The business model is wayyyyyy too easy for competitors to replicate.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Groupon and Living Social have been great, in my limited experience. There's also Amazon Local and Google Offers, at least around here. Haven't used them much.

Groupalicious has been a nightmare. Won't use it anymore.

I found a mechanic locally through Groupon. He will definitely get some repeat business. The others were for things/places I enjoyed but would not go back without the discount. So, yeah, I'm not sure it is a good thing for most businesses.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Oof. They should have cashed out.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

And, this goes to the heart of the problem for businesses:

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted