1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Groundhog Day

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

OK, so I just watched Punxsutawney Phil come out of his hole and see his shadow and, thus, predict six more weeks of winter.

Phil, said his chief handler, is a proud Steeler fan (who would have thunk it?). Couldn't be, say, a Bears fan, because bears prey on groundhogs, eh?

One snide TV commentator pointed out that Phil has only been correct 39 percent of the time. OK, so I suppose that's an improvement over most local TV weather casters, but still.... How on earth does this rodent manage to hold down a job, not to mention a custom groundhog house and get like 15,000 to come out on a freezing morning (sipping various alcoholic beverages and waving yellow towels) to watch this nonsense??

This, friends, passes for a lead story now that the inauguration and Super Bowl are behind us.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Phil? Phil Conners?

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Pitchers and catchers in 11 days.

And yes, there will be six more weeks of winter, at which point it becomes Spring!

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Phil has no credibility. With all those TV lights, of course he sees his shadow. Stevie Wonder could see his frackin' shadow in that environment.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I think he has naked pictures of Punxsutawney's Inner Circle, who care for Phil/plan the event.

As for people making the trip into Pennsylvania's Podunk country, I have no idea.

Drinking is no longer allowed at Gobbler's Knob, which takes ALL the fun of out it. Instead, you'll experience hot cocoa, 4 a.m. polka and shriveled nuts waiting for some guy to grab Phil's back fat and proclaim six more weeks of whatever.

Overrated doesn't even begin to describe Groundhog Day.

6. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

NED?!

(punch)

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Nine days, according to MLB.com's countdown.

It can't come fast enough.

8. [​IMG]

BING!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Gobbler's Knob... wasn't Jenna Jameson in that?

Fred siegle likes this.
  10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

They showed it in Tucson last night.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

It is silly, but it is one of those traditions that is kind of cute and worth keeping around. I don't see much of a problem with this.

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Oh, I get it. Like the NIT, right? ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted