1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Groomsmen gifts

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scouter, May 16, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's actually pretty cool... Mine were less than $50 each.

I probably have 5-6 engraved flasks. I always thought those were kind of stupid if you're more than a couple years out of college.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I got my groomsman very nice cumberbunds and ties -- all of them still use them (in fact we look a little silly dressing so alike when we need to be at something black tie.

3. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I got the guys in my wedding party hockey sweaters. My best man grew up in Buffalo and moved out to LA with his family when he was in junior high. His was easy.
    I have my share of pocket watches from being in wedding parties. Very nice watches, but I rarely take them out.

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Best I've gotten is a Titleist duffle bag. Tons of pockets, perfect carry-on size. I got that from a 2004 wedding, and it's been on every trip I've ever taken since.

The rest were forgettable.

5. Mitch E.

Mitch E. Member

My favorite was a flask. Still use it eight years later. When I got married I didn't have too much disposable income, but I gave out a pair of nice whiskey glasses to my groomsmen, and with it a bottle of alcohol. Not necessarily their favorite, but one that I associated with them, that brought back a memory. I wanted to be able to give a short speech on what each of them meant to me and then told a story that included why I got them that certain kind of rum, vodka, whiskey, etc.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Now my brain hurts. I've gotten an engraved pewter glass-bottom beer mug, bottle of Malibu rum premixed colada somethingorother, two or three fancy ink pens, a tie pin or something.
    And I have no idea what I gave to my groomsmen for my wedding. Not a clue.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I gave mine monogrammed golf shoe bags. My mistake was I didn't get one for myself!

Still carry a money clip from a 1998 wedding. Has my initials and the date 7-18-98, which is handy because my own anniversary is 7-15. Has saved me from trouble at least once.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That reminded me of the best one I've gotten. A Tumi computer bag. I don't even want to know what it cost. The groom's parents were loaded, but that one was just an insane gift.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Same here. My groomsmen loved it so much I wish I'd bought one for myself. I also gave one to my Dad. It's kind of cool to go home and see it on his nightstand. I also got a great deal on them at a local flea market (I was out of work when we got married so $$$ was a real issue)

I got an engraved bat in the last wedding I was in. It's really awesome, but it's collecting dust in the basement until we buy a home and I get a ManCave (over/under: 2031, bet the over).

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

We got cufflinks of our favorite teams and we all wore them in the wedding.

I like the personalized bat idea too.

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

At one wedding, I got a beer mug with my name engraved on it. Since I don't drink much beer, the boxed stein was put up on a shelf.

A couple years later, a coworker wanted to get another a beer mug for the holiday gift exchange. I told him I'd give him the mug I never use and he could buy the gift for the person I drew.

I had forgotten it was engraved, and the gift recipient was surprised to see "MTM" on the side of his new mug.

It became a running joke at the office, and for the next few years, every gift exchange featured a mug with "MTM" written on the side.

12. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

The last wedding I was a groomsmen (two years ago) the groom gave us all pretty decent watches. To this day I have never worn it as, like a growing population, I no longer wear a watch.
    I still think when all else fails and you can't think of anything cool or unique to them, a good watch is a safe way to go.

I admit though, some of the gifts listed on this threat are nice.

Draft saved Draft deleted