1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grinnell kid scores 138 points in a game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

god damn, you're so fucking smart, IF.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

You obviously watch a lot of NBA.

The kid can obviously shoot. But they even within their alternative system, the goal was not to maximize team points. They kept him on the floor far more than any other player (not what they typically do) and they passed up guaranteed 2 point shots for a shot with a lower expected value.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This is beyond ludicrous. Kobe's 81 in a modern era NBA game was SO immeasurably more impressive and completely different than this that it's preposterous to even make the comparison.

And you obviously know nothing about today's NBA.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You can tell when someone knows nothing about the NBA. They spout the lazy cliched no defense bullshit. It is simply not true and if you watched even half a game you would know this.

5. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I hate the NBA and almost never watch it at all. And I sort of figured the problem with the NBA nowadays was there was too much defense.

Carry on.

6. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Why would anyone pay $42,000 to attend Grinnell College? In Iowa?

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

+1

8. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Yeah, well I believe watching four players stand around doing nothing during a possession while one guy ball-hogs is pretty ludicrous, too.

... Back to Grinnell and the kid, there are several goals teams running the "System" seek to achieve each game: Make five-for-five substitutions every 35 seconds, force more than 22 turnovers, shoot more than 35 three-pointers, rebound 33 percent of your misses, take a shot within 12 seconds of gaining possession and try to regain possession within 12 seconds.

So yes, they're always pressing and going for steals, which sometimes - oftentimes against a good opponent - results in allowing layups. The coach I interviewed for my story went to the System last season to get all of his kids playing time, and they all get to shoot. On top of all that, they had a good season - playoff team.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I guess the same reason people pay $40,000 to attend Northwestern . . . to become journalists.

10. Dash 7

Dash 7 Member

Well, he did it against NBA athletes while playing in an actual offensive system. I don't think this analogy holds up.

11. Dash 7

Dash 7 Member

I feel like maybe you don't actually watch the NBA.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, of course not, silly. There aren't any games today.

Draft saved Draft deleted