1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grinnell kid scores 138 points in a game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

The Doyel piece reveals the payment--$1400, a bit more than happy meal money, but not much--but still likely a necessary payday for a school that doesn't own a single washing machine (but, hey, maybe they can finally buy one now!) and from description sounds like it's teetering on the edge of solvency.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Christ, this is feeling like Groundhog's Day. You're repeating the exact same lines you did last year. I'm giving the same responses.

And, again, I ask: did you actually watch the posted replay of last year's game, OT? If you did, you should understand why there were so many damn turnovers, and it sure as hell wasn't because of Grinnell's great defense. And I'm fairly certain the same applies to this year's game.

There are so many turnovers because:

1) Essentially the ONLY thing Grinnell does on defense is try to force turnovers. They full court press all game long after every made basket, they really only play defense in the forecourt, they have no half court defensive system that I saw. If no turnover is forced before halfcourt, you're damn near guaranteed an easy layup run.

2) These Bible school teams are UNBELIEVABLY AWFUL. Calling them college basketball teams is wildly misleading. These teams couldn't even compete with any decent high school team (at least that's the case with the one I saw last year, I assume this year's is the same story). Their skill level is closer to gym class level stuff than what people think of as college basketball.

Yep, when you constantly full court press unathletic kids who can't dribble or pass they tend to turn the ball over a lot. What a shocker.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well then, what's your enlightened take on it?

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It's not much of an argument in today's college climate.

I mentioned this on the college hoops thread, but we have one of those USCAA schools a couple of miles from work, Central Penn College. Program is no more than 7-8 years old; most in this area are not even aware of the existence of the school.

Central Penn has four D-I opponents on its schedule: Elon, Radford, Towson and Columbia.

What Grinnell does there is not a damn bit different than what all the D-I schools do. They survey the landscape, find the schools that will not threaten them in a glorified scrimmage. Well, just as the D-I schools have their designated victims, D-III schools do, too. They just have to dig a little deeper.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I like watching pre-game layup lines to see how teams fumble the ball away 49 times because that's apparently what teams do when they're not being defended.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Interesting editor's note added to Doyel's column today:

http://www.cbssports.com/general/writer/gregg-doyel/24249089/not-easy-for-grinnell-gunner-to-score-100plus-till-coach-makes-it-so

Whoops ...

7. sportsnut2002

sportsnut2002 Member

So what did Jack do for a follow up to his 109-point performance?
    He went 0 for 5 from the field and scored just 3 points in 23 minutes against Wartburg in his team's 88-79 victory.
    Just goes to show what happens when someone plays actual defense on him.

http://pioneers.grinnell.edu/boxscore.aspx?path=mbball&id=974

8. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Grinnell SID press release: In his last two games, Jack Taylor is averaging an amazing 56 points a game!

Draft saved Draft deleted