1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grindhouse kicks a**

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by tyler durden 71351, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Too busy this weekend. Definitely will see it next weekend.

2. Frylock

Frylock Member

"And at three hours and 11 minutes, it's just too fucking long."
    Umm, it's a double-feature.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A short Motley Fool article about the movie's disappointing box office numbers...

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2007/04/11/the-grindhouse-massacre.aspx

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Loved the Rodriguez part. Fell asleep during the Tarentino part.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Now I'm torn.
    I want to see the Aqua Teen movie, but I missed 'Grindhouse' last weekend.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Saw it yesterday, and it was a lot of fun.
    Two movies for the price of one. You can't beat that.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Finally saw it tonight.

For what it's worth, I am a huge Tarantino fan. I think if he has a masterpiece, it's Kill Bill, I liked Reservoir Dogs more than I liked Pulp Fiction, and Jackie Brown was the least of his films. And it certainly did not suck. I like Rodriguez' non-Spy Kids movies (haven't seen spy kids), loved Sin City (which was absolutely note-perfect to a great comic book). I'll be buying Grindhouse on DVD the day it is released, and I'll buy the soundtrack tomorrow.

So . . . . . . .

Loved the fake trailers. All were good, but "machete" and "Thanksgiving" were my favorites. Both main movies were entertaining; liked the Tarantino one slightly better. I'm a sucker for car chases and lines of dialogue that mention the classic "Gone in 60 seconds" while disparaging that Nic Cage/Angie Jolie thing. Hated twhen that movie lifted the name from that classic B movie about a long car chase and a chop shop.The original was filmed in my neck of the woods when I was an infant, and it's awesome to see fields where there are now shopping centers.

I do appreciate B-movies, like Gone in 60 seconds, Death race 2000, etc. But this movie . . . . again, I was entertained, but too often it seemed ike Tarantino and Rodriguez were on set falling over themselves with glee at the little B-movie/Grindhouse film nods they threw in (both "Reel Missing" moments had excellent timing), while losing the audience at times. The thing is, their previous movies had that same kinetic energy thing, that joy of filmmaking thing, with the occasional nods to old-school stuff, especially Kill Bill. Its various stuff like the training with pai mei and the "Our Feature presentation" graphic at the start had these neat little old B-movie moments, but contained within a quality film. Ths time, when that old logo came up, I felt like Tarantino was just going to the same well he had gone to the last time around. It has been four years (!) since KIll Bill, though.

I knew what to expect from Grindhouse, and I really enjoyed it. But I can see why it's tanking at the box office. It's too much of an inside joke for the filmmakers, and you have to be ready and willing to not seek any kind of coherence from either film's plot.

When it was over, I had two main thoughts:

1. In some theaters in the US, they are already splittng it into two films. That's a travesty. It was meant to be one movie.

2. If they asked us to sit through 3-plus hours of this, WHY could they not ask us to do the same for Kill Bill, and not split that up?

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You can walk out following the Nazi trailer, and save yourself a lot of valuable time.

Quent's segment sucked, beyond endurance.

9. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Saw Grindhouse on Tuesday with a friend. We were both blown away. INCREDIBLE!

We both liked the second one more, but here's my reason for it.

Kurt Russell.

He is now responsible for 3 of my top 10 movie roles of all time!

Snake Plissken ... Jack Burton ... Stuntman Mike.

That was truly an incredible casting job by Tarrantino to get Russell to do that shit. AWESOME!!!!!!

I'm sorry, but I was rooting for Stuntman Mike at times. Of course I root for the bad guys a lot too so :D

Can't wait for the DVD. And hopefully the MISSING REELS!

10. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I thoroughly enjoyed Planet Terror, but Deathproof was too wordy and really had nothing much to say.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The Machete trailer is the best of that lot . . . hilarious, from start to finish.

12. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

The FUCKED with the wrong MEXICAN! (hilarious!)

Draft saved Draft deleted