1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grimsley names Clemens

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Day Tripper, Sep 30, 2006.

1. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

Clemens, Pettitte, Tejeda named in Grimsley affidavit

Semi-shocking development in the Grimsley/hGH story. The five other players (David Segui confessed, making him the sixth) Grimsley told the feds that used steroids were Roger Clemens, Andy Pettitte, Miguel Tejeda, Brian Roberts and Jay Gibbons. All those names to me are no-brainers, but Pettitte is a little shocking for me. Having lived my late-teens through the last Yankees dynasty, he'd be one of the last guys I would figure would do this. But when you figure in that he & Clemens became workout partners and use the same trainer that is also implicated, it makes sense. It leaves an awful feeling inside of you, but it does make sense. Here's the link, but let's just hope Pugmire isn't thrown in jail if he's asked where he got his information from.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-clemens1oct01,0,6499528.story?coll=la-home-headlines

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Re: Clemens, Pettitte, Tejeda named in Grimsley affidavit

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/32468/

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

According to the 20-page search warrant affidavit, signed by IRS Special Agent Jeff Novitzky, Grimsley told investigators he obtained amphetamines, anabolic steroids and human growth hormone from someone recommended to him by, a source said, former Yankees trainer Brian McNamee. McNamee is a personal strength coach for Clemens and Pettitte.

Let the record show that day Grimsley story first came out that I wrote that Brian Mcnamee was the trainer behind redacted name. Too bad some of you did not pay attention sooner.

This leaves real egg on the face of Tom Verducci who wrote a few glowing articles about Raj and his trainer Brian Mcnamee. When dealing with steroid issue Tom has practiced very selective journalism so he did not piss off wrong people and lose access.

Here is story Verducci wrote in 2001 on Clemens and Mcnamee - Not one mention of steroids.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/flashback/clemens_science/

4. Is Pettite still doing those commercials for the Bible?

5. Boom_70

Ironic:

Today's Gospel (Mk 9:38-43.45.47-48): John said to him, «Master, we saw someone who drove out demons by calling upon your name, and we tried to forbid him because he does not belong to our group». Jesus answered, «Do not forbid him, for no one who works a miracle in my name can soon after speak evil of me. For whoever is not against us is for us. If anyone gives you a drink of water because you belong to Christ and bear his name, truly, I say to you, he will not go without reward.

»If anyone should cause one of these little ones who believe in me to stumble and sin, it would be better for him to be thrown into the sea with a great millstone around his neck. If your hand makes you fall into sin, cut it off! It is better for you to enter life without a hand than with two hands to go to hell, to the fire that never goes out. And if your foot makes you fall into sin, cut it off! It is better for you to enter life without a foot than with both feet to be thrown into hell. And if your eye makes you fall into sin, tear it out! It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than, keeping both eyes, to be thrown into hell where the worms that eat them never die, and the fire never goes out».

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Roger's only been an open target of speculation regarding this, for years and years.

Couldn't have happened to a bigger jerkoff.

Andy P? I'm surprised.

But, jeez . . . awful lot of past and current Yanks are tied up in this shit.

Rules? We don't need no stinkin' rules, eh? . . . Mr. American Shipbuilding?

7. Boom_70

The fact that Tom Verducci wrote flowery stories about Clemens workout regimens with non other than Brian Mcnamee while at same time wrote stories of Bonds suggested Steroids use in a way proves Whitlock theory.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Here's proof the best defense against steroid accusations is an extra 10 pounds around the gut. Rog didn't arouse major public suspicion because he looked fat.
    Cheaters, after the workout, make sure you stop at Taco Bell.

9. I checked the PDR, Michael.
    The food at Taco Bell is contraindicated for everything.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I've always suspected Clemens, as have most people... One thing is giving me pause before celebrating. In the LA Times story it says that Grimsley fingered Miguel Tejada and Jay Gibbons as "anabolic steroid" users. About Clemens and Pettitte, it says he said they "used athletic performance-enhancing drugs." Why the distinction? I suppose it could be HGH instead of steroids. But could it be that he only fingered them for using greenies?

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

We're going to have to start building more jails.

12. Or just say the hell with it and stop wasting time and money on a futile "war" on drugs.

Draft saved Draft deleted