1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Griffey hobbles out of game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Second Thoughts, Aug 2, 2008.

1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

He'll DH some games, but if he's the DH than Thome isn't playing. There's Griffey, Swisher, Konerko and Thome to play CF, 1B and DH. Neither Griffey, Konerko or Thome will play every day (and Swisher will probably get some more rest than normal) as a result of this trade. It should help them stay rested during the stretch run.

2. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Then why trade for him? At this point in his career, Ken is the type of player that you'd live and die with as your team's DH. I'd want no part of him on the field defensively.

I won't lie, I still get a good laugh out of him pulling his groin while trying to throw the ball into the infield several years ago. He had the back of lamont sanford's beaten down pick up truck written all over him on that play.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

They traded for him because Paul Konerko is turning into Andruw Jones at the plate. The Sox did fairly well with Swisher at first, so they can rotate Griffey, Swisher and Konerko in and out based on who's hitting and who's healthy. Plus, Dye can cover for some of Griffey's shortcomings in right center, and center field in Sox Park doesn't have a lot of ground to cover to begin with.

As for covering left center, Carlos Quentin is a great hitter, but I'm not sure if I get more nervous watching him or my kids track down a fly ball.

4. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Griffey's been injury prone his whole career, stellar as it is otherwise. That's the point. I don't care if 8 other guys got heat stroke in the game.

It's always something. I still say he pulls a hammy onstage at the Hall.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah and 5,000 perfectly healthy guys will be sitting in the audience watching him be inducted.

Fucking fatass sportswriters, 98% of whom can't do anything more strenuous than change the toilet paper roll, sitting on the couch bitching about athletes' injuries never fails to slay me.

Draft saved Draft deleted