1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Griffey couldn't wait until May to get hurt

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Has anyone checked on redswriter? He's probably on a ledge...

2. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Can we get Griffey a bubble? I'll play Trivial Pursuit with him while the bubble boy bides his time between seasons, innings, at bats... etc.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

He was probably "washing his truck."

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Bless you and yours this holiday season, Mizzou. :D

5. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Seriously, I feel nothing but sympathy for Griff. The guy seems like one of the few clean players from the 90s, was voted the decade's best player over Bonds and had (and still does) a spotless record. Now he probably has a live-in orthopedist and custom-built OR, has absolutely not shot in reaching 700 HRs, let alone breaking Aaron's record and is toiling on a sad Reds team, whose best pitcher hasn't pitched above Triple A (Homer Bailey). This is a sad situation.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Um, Bronson Arroyo. Just saying.

7. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

1. harang's better than arroyo

2. while it's true bailey hasn't pitched above aaa -- he's also not pitched about aa. dude's fuckin' legit, too. and, yeah, he may be better than harang or arroyo

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Good thing they traded for Jeff Conine. :D

9. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Oh yeah, getting Conine definitely locked up the NL Central. Why waste $136 mil on some flash in the pan like Soriano when you can get a guy with TWO World Series rings! I mean, the guy HAS to be good if he has half as many rings as Jeter.

By the way about Arroyo and Harang: Arroyo isn't over-powering and only had a good season when he went to the NL. I'm not convinced of his numbers unless I see dominant starts against the AL Central powers during interleague (haven't had time to check the stats yet). Harang was nice, but I'm not sold completely. His numbers were fairly good, espcially K/9 and BB/9, but I'd like to see some consistency, PLUS he'll be 29 in May. Bailey will turn 21 this May, and he took a giant step in his progression this year, espcially with the K/BB ratio and BB/9.

ANYWAY, The Kid's injury doesn't look like it'll keep him from spring training very long, if at all. I like to think he realizes how fragile he is and that this injury wasn't "car-washing" related.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You say Harang is going to be 29 in May like that is old. He's just entering the prime of a starting pitcher's career and if Bailey is better than Harang, the Reds might not be so bad after all.

11. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Good points, but for some reason, I'm not quite confident about Harang. As far as Bailey goes, yes, I was wrong about him being at Triple A (I mean, I've only covered him for the last TWO years) and he does project well, but very few pitchers come out of the gates on fire, a la Liriano or Bonderman. Plus, who is their closer and don't they have one of the worst defenses in the NL?

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'd be far more confident about Harang than Arroyo. Harang consistently misses bats. Watch how Arroyo's WHIP and ERA skyrocket this year.

Not sure how bad their defense was last year, but Alex Gonzalez is the best fielder no one's ever heard of and he just signed up for two years in Cincy. Unless his predecessor was Ozzie Smith, that's a huge upgrade.

Draft saved Draft deleted