1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Griffey comes back to where he started

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jakewriter82, Feb 19, 2009.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Haha I got what you meant. My post was a lame attempt at "humor."

And it's interesting to see Babar's post re: Griffey's demeanor. I never saw The Kid in my admittedly limited group gangbang interactions. He never seemed all that fun or all that innocent. He always seemed wary and unhappy.

2. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Maybe it was the death threats he said he was getting in Seattle, which I would bet was all BS.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

I have enjoyed watching Junior grow up from a young kid with promise to a superduperstar to an aging veteran. I wish him well in is return to Seattle.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Classic example of a move designed to boost attendance. And it probably will for the first few months, so the contract might pay for itself.

Griffey the player, is long since gone. Not what a young, rebuilding team needs.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, down south, the AJC is being blamed for Griffey's so-called reversal. This from a commenter on the paper's web site:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/shared-blogs/ajc/sportstalk/entries/2009/02/18/is_the_ajc_to_blame_for_losing.html

We all know it's ugly in there, but .... well, it's ugly in there

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Glad to see him back in Seattle.
    Hopefully he won't fall the hidden ball trick again, getting picked off first base in that one game playoff with the Twins.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Holy shit, Davido is getting savaged on that board.... what the fuck happened?

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

DOB's blog

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/2009/02/19/griffey-to-atlanta-nevermind/

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Rule No. 1 in Journalism 101 was ignored. CHECK YOUR FACTS.
    Griffey to play for Braves was a bad head.
    But Griffey, I believe, was pretty much resigned to going back to Seattle.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

IMO, Griffey's superstardom will always be associated with the Mariners. He was the only big time baseball player 90s kids had to watch and follow.

Partially because Sosa and McGwire came on too late and partially because baseball was not wildly popular. It should be cool to see him in Seattle again.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

He has an accomplished conversational style.

Long before blogs, that made him the best guy I have seen do those yearly Q&As to preview/review a season and the upcoming issues, etc.

Love how he is handling those crazed putzes making the comments.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

But let’s be clear: What we wrote was a story that said Griffey told a close friend that he had decided to play for the Braves over the Mariners. We wrote it, because that’s what the close friend told our Terry Moore, who goes back a long way with them (Moore is from Cincy, like Griffey).

Well that's what you get for trusting Moore's "sources." He should stick to writing his "In Defense of Hank Aaron" columns and leave it at that because he rarely knows what he's talking about.

Draft saved Draft deleted