1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grey's and Ugly Betty

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

So, I did something last night I haven't done in a while. I watched some TV.
    Caught Ugly Betty for the first time and Grey's for the first time since the opener this season. I assume both were repeats.

I vowed afterward to read the next time I had a couple of hours.

Did I just catch a bad Ugly Betty? I found nothing about the show appealing.
    And Grey's has been going downhill for a while. Last night reminded me that I really wasn't missing anything by not watching.

2. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Welcome to network television

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I haven't watched network television (outside of sports) for years.

I don't miss it a bit.

I think your idea about reading is a good one, Moddy.

4. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

I think your first problem was you were on the wrong channel... should have went to NBC — The Office and 30 Rock. Laugh out loud funny shows.

By the way, I went over to "Ugly Betty" during a commercial break and, well, what exactly was ugly about Betty? Underneath the braces and a new set of sexy specs, she's actually attractive.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I think that's the point. They've got to have something to work with when they do the requisite, cliched "ugly duckling makeover" episode.

6. dawgpounddiehard

After she's madeover... she wont feel herself, others will treat her differently because of how she looks on the outside instead of what kid of person she is on the inside. By the time the episode is over, she'll go back to the way she was.

Damn, Cadet, looks like we have that episode written.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

But there has to be a man involved somehow, and it's better if he's older. And has a lot of money.

We'll take double scriptwriting credits, dawgpound. :)

8. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I too watched network TV for the first in years, seriously.

I watched the Office, which I had not really followed since its debut season, and I loved it, cursed myself out for not watching it more religiously since Season 1.

And, I started to watch Ugly Betty, on the advice of the better half. It was okay. But I turned it off midway through.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Seen about 10 seconds of UGly Betty; wasn't interested.

I think Grey's has been just fine this season. Aside from Izzy bitching about Denny every time things get testy, Christina betraying Burke and neither of them losing their jobs after deceiving the hospital regarding his health, etc., it's been just fine.

Most characters remain annoying, others less so. That's the show. And it's still riveting at times as you wonder what's next. I like that it does event episodes like ER's horrendous "A plane has hit the ER!" shenanigans, but for the most part Grey's are about the individual characters and what has been established about them.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Did Izzy really get a check for 8.7 mil last night?

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yes.

12. dawgpounddiehard

Being an older fella... does he fall in love with Betty when she returns to her old self or does he bolt? I can't figure out which would be more cliche.

Draft saved Draft deleted