1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grey's Anatomy . . .

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoSueMe, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Finished watching it. The actors and the characters' relationships dulled the idiocy of the overall plot, so it wasn't nearly as odious as watching that little mute kid for the past two episodes. It wasn't as much of a slow burn as the setup, when they acted like this was gonna be this huge story and it became more and more clear that it wasn't.

The bleeding girl was just dumb. Wouldn't have minded a little more mending between McDreamy and McSteamy after their moment last week.

I did like that someone finally told Izzy where to stick it. And I liked the stuff with Christina. Liked Chief's speech to Ellis.

After Ellis briefly pulled out of Alzheimer's three weeks ago, the mother-daughter relationship had clearly run its course. And if this episode finally forever culminates the whole Denny crap that has been Izzy's excuse for making an ass of herself . . .there could be good longterm benefits.

A small note here to laud my wife for nailing the resolution of this plotline; she called it, that Ellis would die and have one last conversation with Meredith. Of course, it was clear such cheese was gonna end this story arc, since they were seeking an event, a "talk about it next to the water cooler the next day" episode instead of just focusing on telling good stories.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Actually we agree on two things. I like Jimmy John's, too. So there's hope!
    My wife refuses to talk to our son if he calls during Grey's. Now even she has said, Ugh.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought the same thing... Third season is way too early for this show to be headed this fast downhill...

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Do we have to have some awkward "moment" and/or hug now?

Dear God, please say no.

5. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I still haven't seen the last five minutes. And I guess I don't have to, now that I've read <a href="http://www.tvsquad.com/2007/02/22/greys-anatomy-some-kind-of-miracle/">the TV Squad analysis.</a> Don't read it if you don't want to know what happened.

Dr. Montgomery (the redhead) might be part of a spinoff with Taye Diggs? What, she's slept with everybody at Seattle Grace already?

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Uh, no. An understated fist bump will do, plus you are picking up the Jimmy John's today because you are younger.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Mmmmm Taye Diggs.

8. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

I clicked on the link. Loved one of the comments on that blog:

"They're working on a spinoff? How about putting that effort into making Grey's stop sucking?"

9. GimpyScribe

GimpyScribe Member

I barely know you, but I love you for saying this. Why must everything be picked apart so completely? I'm the type, I go in prepared that what I see on my TV, when it comes to sitcoms and hour-long dramas, may not always be realistic. I just sit back and try to enjoy the ride. If I come out on the other side entertained, I'll take the ride again. If not, well, no more of that ride for me. It's easy!

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Perfect.

As for me, I loved the whole show last night. And I thought the last 10 minutes were downright emotionally draining. It's far, far from jumping any shark in my book, and I'm sure in MOST minds.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Bring out the Gimpy Scribe.

Think the Gimpy Scribe's sleepin'.

Well, I guess you'll have to go and wake him up now, won't you?

It's not about analysis as much as it's about enjoying a show, admiring the plots and acting that keep you entertained, and making a show a weekly must-see. Granted, this show has built up enough cache that it can afford a story like this one, where what could have been two hours is stretched to three thanks to a little mute bitch on the dock.

As I said, this Meredith arc just seemed forced, like they were consciously TRYING for "event TV!" instead of just letting the story tell itself, as this show does at its best. They sold it as being huge, but the girl bleeding out her stomach was a reminder of an episode that wasn't as hyped, but that was much better. The story of george's dad had me interested the whole way as well, with no hype.

Yes, there were certain moments that were great, absolutely, as I mentioned in a previous post.

The potential longterm benefits of this arc are clear: Izzy has been put in her place, something I've waited for since she played the denny card on George when he tried to apologize (needlessly) for asking her to butt the hell out when his dad was deciding on a heart surgeon. Meredith's mom is out of the picture, as her impact had run its course. And best of all, Denny is out of the picture, hopefully.

This could be like that second-season episode of Alias where they got rid of SD-6: it could close a lot of old plots that had become stale (ENOUGH with Denny), and open up new possibilities.

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I got the Jimmy John's run as long as it's an "exploding" fist bump?
    JJ's No. 4?

Draft saved Draft deleted