1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grey Cup Running Thread......

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Nov 21, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Since all our American friends are celebrating Thanksgiving a month late, I'll start with a terrific column by Stephen Brunt in today's Globe about what Saskatchewan's appearance in the Cup means:

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20071120.wsptbrunt20/GSStory/GlobeSportsFootball/home?cid=al_gam_mostview

At its heart, the appeal of spectator sport is a celebration of kith and kin and community. But long ago, because of cargo-cult loyalties built over great distances by television, because of professional athletes being freed to ply their trade where they want, the whole notion of rooting for the home team was often reduced to an abstract.

For the 'Riders, for their fans in the province, and for the great green diaspora (Saskatchewanians in exile run head-to-head with displaced Newfoundlanders in this country, and both places belong in any discussion of distinct societies), the relationship remains intact, remains as real as any in sport, anywhere.

To be in the company of 'Rider fans is to be reminded why you ever gave a damn about a team, about a player, about a uniform, in the first place. Not sports marketing or game presentation or brand loyalty, but our guys versus their guys, joy and agony experienced in the company of those who share a place, a background, and a passion.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

No offense, but ...

[​IMG]

Isn't this about like a running AFL thread?

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The Grey Cup hasn't been the same since the Baltimore Stallions won it with Mike Pringle running roughshod all over Canada. The veteran, wiley QB too, Shawn something or other, was the man. Of course, it made up for the fact that the hosers up north jobbed them HARD in the Grey Cup the year before with some bullshit calls so they could keep the cup there instead of in the US.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Two teams, one Cup.

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

It disturbs me how much I'm looking forward to this game.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Expansion into the United States was the sorriest chapter in the CFL's history. The Baltimore team was essentially the Montreal Alouettes.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Only to a non-Canadian. The Grey Cup was around long before the NFL was even invented.

Find me a Superbowl story that beats this for sheer "You can't make this crap up"

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20071120.wsptmaki20/BNStory/GlobeSports

For those too young to recall, Humphrey is best remembered as the beret-wearing sideline fan who gave a one-sided Grey Cup game its most memorable moment. It happened 50 years ago, back when the Ticats were defeating the Winnipeg Blue Bombers 32-7 at Varsity Stadium in Toronto.

With Bawel racing downfield after intercepting a Winnipeg pass, Humphrey took in the action — then decided to become a part of the action. He stuck out his leg, sent Bawel flying and was almost instantly known as The Tripper.

No doubt, some of you are now wondering: Did this actually happen? (Yes, it did.) Was there drinking involved? (Absolutely.) But like any good story, there's more to the tale of The Tripper than just: guy in funny hat sends player for a loop. Humphrey was a 32-year-old defence lawyer when he did his shtick. He got into the Grey Cup without having a ticket, stood with the players on the Winnipeg bench and, after committing his trip, was allowed to walk out of stadium without being arrested by the police.

8. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I've really grown to enjoy the CFL, and I'm looking forward to the Grey Cup.

Canadians seem to really support and take pride in the league. I remember when the Grey Cup was in Vancouver, and I was in town for a hockey game. Fans of the teams that weren't even playing in the title were all over the place. Great people.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Even now the Grey Cup is the single most watched sporting event in Canada: bigger than the Superbowl, bigger than a Game Seven of the Stanley Cup.

The only other single game that beat it in terms of viewership I believe was the Canada/US Gold Medal hockey game in SLC.

Right now Riders are favoured by about 11.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Grew up a huge CFL fan and went to plenty of Argo games at the old Ex but have little interest in the CFL these days.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Too many faceless players is part of the problem.

Ricky Williams overhyped arrival turned out to be a bust of the highest order.

It doesn't help that the Hamilton/Toronto rivalry hasn't gone anywhere because of the Ticats horrible play the last few years.

Next year it's in Montreal. If Laval (or another Quebec team) is in the Vanier, that'll be one helluva weekend.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I wish there was a way I could watch CFL games live where I live. The CFL product has to be far more interesting and entertaining than the NFL games.

Draft saved Draft deleted