1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grey Cup Glory: The 2021 CFL running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by maumann, Aug 8, 2021.

1. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I’ve had it in rugby catching an up and under. They can’t hit you until you have the ball and your feet are both on the ground, but when that ball is 60 feet above your head it’s hard to trust that.

I don’t think anything matches Aussie Rules for courage under the high ball.

maumann likes this.
  2. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I finally made it to the Hammer in my daughter’s senior year for a hockey tournament. Most of the games were in Ancaster (beautiful countryside, I can see that the golf course is on perfect rolling land) but we stayed downtown. It was a big old hotel with lots of underground shopping like in Montreal.

I really liked it. Some crazy people around and it was kind of scruffy, but I’ve spent a lot of my life near paper mill towns so I’m comfortable with that vibe. We checked out McMaster as well and she thought about going there.

misterbc and maumann like this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

My relatives from London, Kitchener and Guelph are all die-hard fans of the yellow and black. Taronta-who?

4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

There's some hard hitting going on in Regina today.

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I've watched some old Grey Cup games from the 50s and 60s on YouTube. No one ever got very far. Most of the time, any real yardage came on the penalty for violating the halo. The only pre-1975 punt for a long return I saw on any of those videos was in a 1970 playoff game at Saskatchewan where the field was covered in snow and ice. The defenders couldn't stay on their feet.

If you violate the halo on a bouncing ball, it's a five-yard penalty. If you don't give the returner any room to field it on the fly, that's usually 15 yards.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Pampered frat boy Argo fan and son of a onetime season ticket holder checking in ahead of the Labour Day Classic!

maumann likes this.
  7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The Angelo Mosca thread reminded me to ask.

In my retirement it is my goal to visit all the Canadian providences. To that end if COVID ends I will spend much of next summer driving around Canada. If I go to one CFL game what would be the best venue to watch it in?

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I would think Saskatchewan or Winnipeg would be your best bets as far as crowds and atmosphere go. Hamilton when the Argos are in would be cool even though you are in Hamilton.

misterbc, Old Crank and maumann like this.
  9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

When the Canadian government allows me back across the border (a felony charge, not even a conviction, requires at least 10 years from the spot of the foul), Gwen and I need to take the prairie route. I've got relatives in Alberta and Sask., and might as well add Manitoba. I'm missing only Newfoundland and Labrador from the east, but don't have any idea why we'd do that, other than Cape Breton is awesome.

misterbc likes this.
  10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

A few years ago we flew to Vancouver and caught the Rocky Mountaineer, with stops in Kamloops and Banff
    Open air viewing car up top
    Beautiful

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I've found out through genealogy that my 3rd and 4th great-grandfathers were essentially the town blacksmiths in Hamilton from about 1846-1854, and my GG-grandfather was born there, so I figure I ought to be a Ti-Cat fan.

I think they really blew it by switching away from the old-school bumblebee style stripes on the sleeves.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  12. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted