1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grey Cup Glory: The 2021 CFL running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by maumann, Aug 8, 2021.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

There always were rumors the CFL would put a team in Windsor
    Some had the team playing at Tiger Stafium

maumann likes this.
  2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I heard from HC that there was a thread and yeah, you're right, Huggy, I had to show up. Watched a bunch of games. particularly the Cats vs Bombers on opening day weekend. Seeing the games gave me the first sense of normalcy since you know what started.

Ticats have been my favourite team in all sports. I started going to the games --aka brawls in the stands-- when I was about 12. My best friend's dad was a VP at Steel Company of Canada and had four season tickets on the 55 yard line. I went regularly

As Huggy (and a few others) know, my eldest played for the Eskimos a few years ago as FS.

And this hit still makes me a proud dad :)

Played two years for Edmonton, half a season for Saskatchewan and then was released. Good times

Grey Cup is in the Hammer this year. And Tim Horton's Field (what else) is in the middle of a Hamilton neighbourhood. Park on someone's lawn for $20 Great stadium. Look to one side and you see the Niagara Escarpment and on the other side, Lake Ontario.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I remember rumors of a Windsor team playing regular-season games at whatever university is there and playoff games at the Silverdome.

maumann likes this.
  4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I always thought that if the CFL could find a stadium in the New York area, for example the Rutgers stadium, the league should expand. there. I think the team could make money in New York, given the low salary caps just because of the size of the media market and it would expose the league south of the border.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The University of Windsor's field seats about 2,000. Across the river, Wayne State seats 6,000. The next nearest semi-plausible venue would have been Rynearson Stadium in Ypsilanti (30,700).

For a few years after the Lions moved out, a CFL franchise could have bought the Silverdome for a song -- a million bucks or less -- but repairing the joint to even be playable (much less repairing the collapsed roof) would have cost dozens of millions. So they ended up imploding it.

After the CFL's abortive fling at American expansion in the 1990s, the NFL learned its lesson and began ordering all teams to demand total control of their home stadiums so the idea of a CFL team or any other kind of even utterly remote competitor to the NFL playing in any NFL stadium was finished.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
    cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And I'll add that Elliiott went over to the Ticats locker room after the game to make sure Dave Stala was OK. And he was

maumann likes this.
  7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Never questioned that, JR. Would not know you to bring Elliott up any other way.

Don't be a stranger, sir. Same with HC.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I don't remember the CFL's dalliance with Windsor, I do remember rumblings that London might be a candidate.

Somewhere I have a pic of nine-year-old Huggy Jr and Elliot after an Eskimos game in Toronto. Huggy Jr is now 21 and might be taller than Elliott but there's no way he's built like him!

maumann likes this.
  9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I always got the sense that Hamilton was the equivalent of Newark, but it’s farther from Toronto than I thought it was. All I remember of driving through Hamilton was the smell of industry.

Huggy likes this.
  10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Smells like the world's biggest cheeseburger fart

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Man, the Argos had their chances last night against the Bombers, especially when Nick Arbuckle came in and they got to 10-7. Bethel-Thompson overthrowing a sure touchdown was a real missed opportunity.

12. Old Crank

Old Crank Active Member

Canadian version of the old joke: My girlfriend said to kiss her where it stinks, so I drove her to Hamilton.

Draft saved Draft deleted