1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gretchen Carlson suing Roger Ailes for sexual harassment

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Jul 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

You hit the nail on the head, man. That's why I wanted out by 35, then have the babies so I wouldn't have to live like that. I'm so happy the way it worked out. I can't imagine that atmosphere now.

It's the reality of the visual medium, and I never wanted to fight it. I'm thrilled for you that you're not even what would be considered your prime for a male anchor/reporter. It's one of the benefits of being a man.

I say this sincerely... Enjoy.

Ace and exmediahack like this.
  2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Kilmeade was on a channel in the mid-'90s that was ESPNEWS before there was ESPNEWS (albeit a lot crappier). It was called NewSport, I think.

Lugnuts likes this.
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

@exmediahack, I've watched a friend of mine go through exactly what you described in a major metro. She'd get scathing emails and tweets about her hair, what color shirt she was wearing and worse (not to mention the usual sports bro talk radio clowns saying she should leave sports to the men). She decided not to re-up after her last contract and is struggling to adjust to life outside of TV.

4. Lugnuts

Hugs to her, Inky.
    There are so many great opportunities out there.
    Sometimes people who make a living in front of the camera are driven to perform, and there are ways to scratch that itch, too.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I wonder what case Carlson really has here.

On one hand, she knew when she signed up that FNC was a place for baby dolls. Enjoy the big check while there but always keep an eye out for when you'll get thrown overboard. The smart play is to always document any inappropriate behavior or harassment from a superior for the instance you get fired. If you go down, may as well take them down with you.

What is the difference between harassment and also knowing the playpen that you're entering into. That being said, I'm rooting for Carlson to have a good case.

I've been in this for 20 years. Through working with female anchors, I can say that 9 of the 11 that I've worked with have secret or known eating disorders. One quit TV news (and she was very very good) because she couldn't bear to ever be larger than a size 2 and needed hospital treatment. It's the side of TV news we never see amid the supposed glamour and the chipper Facebook posts from female anchors.

Paranoia about aging out. Endless kale diets to look good in skirts, especially in HD. Stalkers contacting them. How one cruel email from a viewer about their hair or outfit could rattle them for a day.

My current co-anchor is pretty strong mentally but I also know her daily battles to "always look 29" as she approaches 40. It's a tough haul. Our jobs pay well but she knows her expiration date is approaching.

She's a hell of a news junkie and is dreading the stereotypical jumping off job.... hospital or university PR.

6. Lugnuts

Lol. That's exactly what a friend of mine did... Hospital PR !
    She doesn't have to do that. There are all kinds of fun and fulfilling things beyond the muck of local TV news.

7. exmediahack

I am weird in that I love writing newscasts. Even when I "age out" or the business implodes on its own (far more likely), I'll want to keep writing news for some outlet in 30 years, when I'm into my 70s.

I'll retire someday from full-time work but I hope to keep writing news a few days a week when I'm old and my man boobs start sagging.

Lugnuts likes this.
  8. Lugnuts

At my last shop, a female anchor/reporter who was pushed out filed a big ole complaint with-- basically-- the EEOC for our state.

Interestingly, she kept it real and went with age discrimination (as well as sex discrimination). There were a whole bunch of ladies (all pregnant or moms to young kids) who got axed around the same time.

The state found that she had cause, and she was getting ready to file a whopper of a lawsuit when the station settled.

Ailes will make this go away.

9. exmediahack

I remember a case in Kansas City a few years back (not the Craft case but same station) where three female anchors filed a suit against management.

Two of them still work there, I believe.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Ex, you're a hell of an asset here. I have seen the Facebook and Twitter feeds of some of our local female anchors, and it turns my stomach the comments they have to put up with.

SFIND, Inky_Wretch and I Should Coco like this.
  11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The Official Network of the Official Party of Family Values.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The female meteorologists here seem to take a lot of crap. Lots of unsolicited "hey, beautiful" replies on their social media accounts. They are good at their jobs (and quite attractive), but it just sounds lame when you see some 45-year-old guy coming onto a woman via Twitter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.