1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greta Thunberg running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

it is an absolute tenet of the idiot right that the Nazis were leftists.

go figure

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That's sort of the irony, isn't it? The Soviets and the group of countries they controlled Post WWII were leftists on economics and far right in civil liberties and general treatment of humans.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

When I was a senior in college, the school nrwspaper asked a random sample of students some questions about history and current events. A lot of them, maybe even most, I don't remember the exact percentage, thought the Russians fought on the Germans' side in World War II and the Japanese fought on our side. That was toward the end of Reagan's second term.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Ben Carson is proof that you can be an absolute genius at an extremely difficult skill set, and yet be an absolute ignorant dimwit at the rest of life.
    I know what I thought were normal and educated people who are part of the idiot right. Not the right who think lower taxes and less regulation are the way to freedom, it the blind following of a corrupt authoritarian just to accomplish a few more dollars in their pocket and putting some races back in their place.

5. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

Twenty pages in and alma finally posts something that at least attempts to address the issue instead of trying 50 different ways to say Greta and what she is trying to do is “weird”

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. heyabbott

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

So I read this, and got a kick out of the first subpoint under why the right’s usual tricks don’t work:

Greta avoids the trap of recommending specific policies.”

Later, there’s this, in a piece designed to praise her:

Coming from almost any adult, this strategy would be vulnerable. Adults have political worldviews and very few have the discipline to keep them entirely hidden. But Thunberg is, in her own words, an “uneducated teenager.” She’s 16 years old! She can’t be expected to know what actions government agencies need to take and she doesn’t pretend to.”

So she’s got a lack of detail and solutions going for her.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Yeah, she does. She's a kid, who is asking why it is that the adults who are supposed to run things and keep kids safe have punted this down the road until the polar caps are melting and what it is that they intend to do about it.

I find that a very reasonable question for pretty much everyone to ask at this point. We've got Trump in power trying to release the pollution in California because those people will never vote for him, so he hopes they choke. I can't blame her for asking whether someone is going to step up. It's past time someone did. That it was a 16 year old who did it simply points out the problem in stark relief.

OscarMadison and Smallpotatoes like this.
  12. heyabbott

Draft saved Draft deleted