1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greta Thunberg running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

You want to talk about making autism your friend. She is just an unflappable, stone cold killer on this.

She doesn’t give a fuck about anything else. She cannot be persuaded or bought.

Holy shit, she’s epic.

VIDEO: 'This Is All Wrong,' Greta Thunberg Tells World Leaders At U.N. Session - 'This Is All Wrong,' Greta Thunberg Tells World Leaders At U.N. Climate Session

The beauty of autism is she cannot fake it if she doesn’t believe it.

Agree with her, which you should, or not, this is amazing what she is accomplishing and how she is doing it.

2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I love that the pat answer is "she's a pre-programmed robot," just like the kids from Stoneman Douglas. I for one, welcome our new robot overlords -- as long as I get my Social Security checks on time.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the plan is to liquidate anyone over the age of 50 in the name of saving the environment.

Mr. Sluggo and maumann like this.
  4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Robots eat medicine for fuel and they are strong.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

6. maumann

Isn't that the plot from ... Silent Running, Soylent Green, Escape From New York, or even Logan's Run? Just about every science fiction movie from the 1970s, to be honest. We were supposed to be eating people crackers by 2022, dammit! Instead, they're all moving to Florida and creating hurricanes.

In any case, they'll have to pry my bellbottoms, Pet Rocks and KC and the Sunshine Band albums from my cold, dead hands. Or pay good money in an estate sale.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    HanSenSE and OscarMadison like this.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I was thinking Logan's Run, but it does apply to that entire genre. Somehow, the current wave of activists appears to have watched all of those movies and thought they were uplifting documentaries sent back in time from the future.

maumann likes this.
  8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Escape from New York a bit different than the others. Basically NYC is a prison where the president’s plane has crashed.

Snakes Pliskin was a bad ass character.

OscarMadison, maumann and sgreenwell like this.
  9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Snake Pliskin? I thought he was dead.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I look forward to hearing more heads of state explaining to her how nothing can be done about anything. Ever.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  11. maumann

I didn't think enough people would get the joke -- and this was before Dragon Con or any other nerd/geek event -- but I wanted to glue a clear plastic gem to my palm for my 30th birthday in honor of Carousel. And here I've made it twice that and more.

There. Is. No. Sanctuary.

12. maumann

SERIOUS RESPONSE.

As a species, we have the mental capacity to be so intelligent, and yet are so dumb.

Hell, the first Earth Day was in 1970. And it was the Baby Boomer generation who warned about what we were doing to the ecology. And 50 years later, we obviously failed those who followed because of the same-old, same-old reasons why the current generation hates us. It's easier to kick the garbage can down the road than to make meaningful progress to solve the problem.

Lord Acton nailed it: "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

Or as Gov. William J. Le Petomane explained it, "We've got to protect our phoney-baloney jobs, gentleman! We must do something about this immediately! Immediately, immediately! Harrumph, harrumph!"

Politicians care first and foremost about their own self-interests, and large corporations are very good at providing the means to fund those self-interests. They are the people we should least count on to provide a solution. Gandhi, King and Walesa are proof that social change can happen, no matter what the politicians say. Maybe it's Greta Thunberg and millions like her who can say, "Change or die."

Because without change, we will all die.

Slacker, OscarMadison and Scout like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted