1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gregg Marshall is an asshole? What a shocker

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Oct 8, 2020.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Fortunately, one of the Kochs is already dead.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Superb.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Someone needs to post the picture of the cheerleader flashing the shocker sign.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

8. tapintoamerica

There has never been such an accomplished low-major coach who had such a hard time getting out of that level. In many cases, as I understand it, he cooked his goose when he got to the president/provost/dean stage. The academics, in at least two cases, got back to the ADs and asked, "Why did you think I would approve of hiring such a prick?"
    He finally found a place without a semblance of integrity at Wichita State, where they had sold out to the Koch Bros.

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I want to hear the stories about his wife. I've been on press row and heard her act from the stands. Language that would make a Marine drill sergeant blush.

Semi-related - the Wichita Eagle website still doesn't have 1 word about it on their site. Brutal.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Gregg Marshall wanted to interview at N.C. State after Herb Sendek was treated so poorly by the Wolfpack Club that he left for the sandy brown pastures of Tempe. At that point, some people in the region discovered that his act had done him no favors.

11. tapintoamerica

Of course not.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Many, many years ago I was on the Virginia Tech beat for the Richmond Times-Dispatch and Seth Greenberg had just been named basketball coach there.

The next day, I'm in the office and Hal Nunnally calls me. Some of you probably know him or know of him. Good guy, good coach, a D-III lifer who spent years at Randolph-Macon outside Richmond and had a pretty good run there. Marshall coached for him for a while and, I'm pretty sure, played there, too. Marshall was still at Winthrop but, as others have noted, his rep as an excellent coach and less-than-stellar person was already solidified.

Hal had a very deep voice, a slight southern accent and spoke slowly. Think of Mountain Man of Duck Dynasty fame. Anyway, we have this conversation:

Hal: Did you get a sense Gregg was involved.
    Me: Yeah, he was very involved.
    Hal: Did you get any sense of why he didn't get it?

I pause a second, trying to think of a tactful way to say it to a man who considered himself Marshall's friend and mentor.

Me: Well ....
    Hal: Did they say it was because he's a fucking asshole?
    Me, chuckling a bit: In fact, that is EXACTLY what they said.

I've had countless people tell me he was upper echelon in actual knowledge of the game, the X/O part of the coaching. But he got along with no one. No one.

Hal: We've been telling him for years and years, he had to tone it down. There was more to it than just the coaching. He had to be able to get along with people. He'd go, 'Buttttttttt I just wannnnnnaaa coach,' and he's never changed.

This was 17 years ago and he's only gotten worse. Poor Hal died in 2004, he would have enjoyed that Final Four run. But I can't ever see Marshall on TV now without hearing Hal's distinct voice saying, "fucking asshole."

Draft saved Draft deleted