1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greg Paulus to Syracuse for football?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Apr 15, 2009.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Actually, it's not. As much as I want Greg Paulus to somehow disfigure himself, he is one hell of a QB. I've seen him pick teams apart in person, though I know he's got quite a bit of rust to shake off.

A lot of the reason that he is so hated in Central New York is simply because anyone who saw him play both sports thought he was making a huge mistake. Many coaches in the area who coached against him for years couldn't understand his choice to play hoops.

He's an amazing QB. If anyone can do it, this idiot can.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

You mean other than taking reps away from Nassib?

Seems to be a lot of confidence in someone who hasn't taken a snap in almost five years being able to turn himself into a Division I, BCS conference-level quarterback over the course of summer conditioning and fall practices.

3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I'm not saying Paulus is going to be all that and a bag of chips, but taking snaps away from a redshirt freshman isn't that big of a deal. He'll get plenty of time to play later at Syracuse, and presumably this season when the offensive line gives up another sack and Paulus is carted off the field.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I tell you one thing, if I'm Marrone, in regards to Paulus, I'm the coldest hardest son of a bitch who ever lived in terms of expectations, playing time, everything: "we didn't recruit you, you won't be here next year, and every snap you take in practice or in a game is taking time away from a player who WILL be here next year. So there ain't no learning curve, no acclimation period, no allowances for 'shaking off the rust,' none of that shit. That's your problem, not ours. You better be ready to play from the first day of practice, or hasta la vista -- and the second you get yanked for any reason (injury, poor play, you name it) you can turn in your shit and hit the road. I'm not wasting 10 seconds more than I have to on a guy whose entire career is going to consist of 11 games (at best)."

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

It should be a big deal considering he's the only quarterback on the roster who will be back after this coming season — Dantley and Paulus will both be seniors. As Syracuse currently only has one quarterback verbally committed (according to Scout.com), I don't think they can afford to be so cavalier about getting Nassib ready.

It's not that I have anything against Paulus — I have no emotional stake in him or Syracuse — but this just runs counter to everything I've seen and heard about football. Quarterback is one of, if not the, most difficult positions to play, and it would take an athlete of extraordinary ability to be successful at that position after 4-5 years away from the sport.

The two most recent examples that come to mind are Chris Weinke and Joel Klatt. Weinke threw all of 11 passes in three games during his first year, and Klatt made most of his three freshman-year appearances on special teams. Paulus could well disprove all the doubters and set college football alight, but it's hard to believe that when all the evidence points to the contrary.

6. What the over/under on him getting teabagged?

Draft saved Draft deleted