1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greg Paulus to Syracuse for football?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Apr 15, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Freep posted this article this morning. A few hours later they added an Ed. note that said it was an April Fool's joke. April Fool's Day was 2 weeks ago, and they didn't mention that when they originally posted the story. People fell for this hoax it seems like. The story said Paulus worked out for the Packers - how could he do that and expect to sign with UM?

http://www.freep.com/article/20090415/SPORTS06/90414127/Report++Ex-Duke+PG+Paulus+may+play+football+at+U-M

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Re: Greg Paulus talks to Rich Rod about playing QB; Mustang punches hobo

heh ... mustang said rod.

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I guess you missed this BOLD disclaimer at the top: Editor's note: This story was originally published by Fox Sports as an April Fool's joke. We apologize for the mistake.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

What's weird thought is that espn is whoring this story now too though. I'll post part of it in case it gets deleted after the fact.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/news/story?id=4067162

ESPN.com news services

Greg Paulus, who chose to be a point guard instead of a quarterback in college, last week had a workout for the Green Bay Packers.

Paulus, who started 95 games at Duke before his role was drastically reduced his senior season, worked out in front of Packers representatives in Durham, N.C., Duke spokesman Art Chase said.

Chase said that Paulus threw to receiver Eron Riley during the session in advance of the draft, which is April 25-26.

The Wisconsin State Journal and ProFootballTalk.com first reported the story.

Later on Tuesday, a University of Michigan official confirmed to ESPN.com's Ivan Maisel that Paulus visited the Ann Arbor campus on Tuesday.

Sources told ESPN.com's Christopher Lawlor that Paulus was there to speak to football coach Rich Rodriguez about the possibility of playing this season for the Wolverines. Paulus watched Michigan practice Tuesday afternoon and could fit in with Rodriguez's spread offense, the sources said.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Does Maisel have a source or did he just poach a story and get torched?

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

How could it be an April Fool's joke if it was reported yesterday?

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

He did try out for the Packers, yet I think his eligibility was used up, so he couldn't play for Michigan.

8. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

So is this an April Fool's joke or not? There's no indication of the joke on Goodman's story, which was dated April 14 -- not April 1. And as DD said, Maisel allegedly confirmed it yesterday -- though I'm not sure why a Michigan official would confirm this to ESPN, because wouldn't that be an obvious NCAA violation for commenting on a potential recruit/transfer (even anonymously) before his paperwork was made official?

9. Double Down

Honestly, that was my first thought, and the reason I grabbed it to post here. Maisel is pretty good, so I guess I don't think that happened here. But I do think it happens more than we think.

Editor: Someone else is reporting this story. Can you confirm it so we can grab credit for it?

Reporter: Um, yeah, I have a, uh, source who says it's legit.

10. Double Down

Why would his football eligibility be used up? Pretty sure if you play a different sport, you're eligible for at least one year, and maybe two. I think your 6-year clock starts ticking from the time you enroll.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You have five years to play four seasons in any sport. If he's got a year left Paulus could play a season of football as a grad student.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That was not there this morning at 8:45 when I read the story.

My brother just e-mailed me and said they changed it. So that's at least 2 of us who saw it without an ED note.

Draft saved Draft deleted