1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greg Packer wants you to quote Greg Packer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by printit, Sep 5, 2013.

1. printit

printit Member

http://jimromenesko.com/2013/09/04/greg-packer-wants-to-see-his-name-in-your-newspaper/

I thought this was funny and reminded me of some threads where people told stories about getting quotes.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Re: Greg Parker wants you to quote Greg Parker

What Greg discovered is that reporters don't build a story around the quotes they get, they look for quotes that will fit into the storyline they've already come up with.

Greg knows where to find reporters, puts on a goofy "I'm having the best time of my life" grin to draw them to him, and provides the kind of innocuous quote reporters are looking for.

3. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Re: Greg Parker wants you to quote Greg Parker

Greg Packer wants you to quote Greg Packer's name correctly.

4. printit

printit Member

Massive fail by me. What can I say, I've never interviewed the guy :) Thanks for the catch.

5. printit

printit Member

Yeah, this was my takeaway too. Which is why I've always hated these man on the street quotes.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

NPR takes a look at how some people get quoted over and over again in news stories:

And, how "real people" end up getting quoted:

Draft saved Draft deleted