1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greg Norman, former golf dominator

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Sep 19, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"What I’m seeing is that Tiger’s really intimidated by Rory,” he says. “When have you ever seen him intimidated by another player? Never.

“But I think he knows his time’s up and that’s normal; these things tend to go in 15-year cycles.

“Jack took it from Arnold (Palmer). I took it from Jack, Tiger from me and now it looks like Rory’s taking it from Tiger.”

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/blogs/sentinel-sports-now/os-tiger-woods-rory-mcilroy,0,1227272.post

I can't say I'm a huge golf fan, but did I just sleep through some five-year stretch when Greg Norman was the singular force in golf and not a choking dog?

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yeah ... Norman really took it from Jack when he hit that weak-assed push at No. 18 at Augusta in 1986.

Norman had the lineage right when it said Jack took it from Arnold. He left out a few ... like Watson, Trevino, Ray Floyd and Seve who had all much better records than Norman. When Jack faded, it was far from just Norman. There was a level of very good players that included Norman, Price, Langer, Strange, Kite, Couples, Love, Wadkins and maybe Sutton. They all had comparable records to Norman.

And Sharkie, lest you forget ... you've got exactly as many majors as Andy North and less majors than Larry Nelson. Chew on that one you pompous ass.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Good grief. Norman won a grand total of two majors and he "took it" from Jack?

4. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Maybe he meant his hair.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

This from the guy who first said his return to prominence at the Open was due to finally getting the right partner, Chris Evert, (it was his wife's fault) and then he dumped her about 1 year later. The guy who won the Saturday Slam (still impressive) but folded on Sunday.

Yeah, you were the Dominator; you keep telling yourself that while you ponder how Larry Nelson, Nick Price, and Hale Irwin have MORE majors than you, and LEE JANZEN has the same as you. You pretty much dominated the Greater Greensboro Opens.

6. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

I wonder if Norman, in his head, meant as a golf business force. He certainly was the big man in terms of endorsement and golf course design business and star power, such as it was, in the early-mid90s. But that was generally regarded as a fallow period overall for golf, which is why golf people back then seemed so hopeful that John Daly would become a top player.

7. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

Well, I certainly hope Norman wasn't suggesting he was "intimidating" on anywhere near the level of Nicklaus. That sort of delusion normally lands someone in a padded room.

Intimidating bank account? Sure. The guy is obviously rich beyond comprehension.

But it would've been damn near impossible to be intimidated by a guy who you just knew was going to gag when all the chips were in the center of the table.

Even at his best, the Shark was all hair, no balls.

8. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

I will not dispute that Norman's record on Sundays in majors was, um, spotty, even before it happened . . . but you do wonder what having players twice hole out from improbable circumstances to beat him (Tway at the '86 PGA, Mize at the '87 Masters) did to him mentally when it came his to late-round play in subsequent majors. Maybe nothing, and if he was unable to put those behind him it sort of proves the point, but it certainly couldn't have helped.

9. Yeah, I saw this yesterday and thought the same fucking thing.
    He left a few off between he and (Watson and Seve to name two) Jack and skipped some more (Faldo) before giving way to Tiger.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Faldo and Seve and Nick Price weren't any more intimidated by Norman than Alabama is intimidated by Vanderbilt.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'd pay to see Nick Faldo kick Greg Norman's dumb ass right back to Oz.

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

As someone who owned quite a bit of the Shark line of merchandise 15-20 years ago, I have to stand up and say, "Uhhh, Shark, what are you smokin?"

Draft saved Draft deleted