1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greg McIlvain

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Aug 12, 2008.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Unless it was removed from his fingertips via scapel, I'd bet cash money he has his Mac Powerbook with him.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Yeah, and the "guest wireless network," too.

3. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

Emphasize Valdosta State when you mention it.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

And play up your undying respect for the administration at Albany State.

5. shortstop

shortstop New Member

DixieHack & Leadfoot, you guys are funny! Suddenly old memories are coming back to me of you two, Greg and myself during our days working together in Valdosta. The money wasn't great, we had a Bill Lumbergh-like ME who didn't give a crap about sports and treated it like the VDT's red-headed stepchild (and whose face I'd still like to rearrange with a big right uppercut), management that Greg frequently clashed with and a town that was anal retentive about us giving Valdosta High a half-inch more of copy than Lowndes (or vice versa). But I still say we put out a darn good product, in spite of the imperfect conditions. We had a pretty good time together, all things considered.
    Somehow I wouldn't be surprised if Greg had his laptop in his hospital bed, constantly getting on the internet. They probably won't let him, but I'm sure he's tried.
    I assure you that Greg remains in the thoughts and prayers of all of us that knew him in Valdosta. He did a great job there, and all of us learned a lot from him.
    Here's hoping he continues to get better.

6. HejiraHenry

Update: Greg has been moved to rehab at the fine local hospital.

That seems as if it might put him on a time track to be out of there in a couple of weeks.

Back to work? I haven't the foggiest on that. Not soon enough to suit him, I'm sure.

7. HejiraHenry

Here's the update:

Greg got the green light to leave rehab and he's back at his apartment in Tupelo, continuing to focus on getting better.

In about 3 weeks, he should get a go/no go decision about returning to work. Obviously, we'll be glad to have him back, but we'll ease him back into things once he's ready.

8. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Thanks for keeping us updated, HH. Hope Greg is doing well.
    Maybe he should lay off the Memphis football for a while, too, for his sake.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

... and the Connie's onion rings.

10. HejiraHenry

You know, a guy in our office had never had those until the other day. Hard to imagine.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Whoa! Talk about sheltered.

12. HejiraHenry

Greg, who has been home for a couple of weeks, has now been cleared by the doc for a limited return to work.

Draft saved Draft deleted