1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greg McIlvain

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Aug 12, 2008.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The news is a bit better today.

Greg was taken off the respirator sometime on Monday and had whatever tube it is they put down your throat (feeding?) taken out this evening. He had been responsive yesterday but unable to speak because of the tube. They dialed back the sedation and he was able to speak to one of our guys who got in to see him tonight.

If all goes well, he might be back in a regular room in a day or two.

That said, by all indications the docs are still a bit flummoxed by his overall condition.

2. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

Holy shit. I worked for Greg not long after I first started into the business as a part-timer/stringer in Valdosta. Super guy who bent over backwards for you and to make the section better as well. Of the people I encountered in the business, Greg was one of the favorites to be around.

Definitely sending thoughts/prayers his way.

Thanks HH, for the updates.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Excellent, Greg. Hurry up so you can start posting :D

4. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

I hope he gets better soon.

Greg is an asset to our industry.

5. HejiraHenry

He's been moved out of critical care and into a reg'lar room again.

6. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

That's great news. Thanks for the updates HejiraHenry.
    I hope his stay in the regular room is short and he is back on his feet soon.

7. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

Good news, indeed.

Thanks for the updates.

8. HejiraHenry

Greg called in today, bored with watching Little League World Series games.

He sounded pretty good, under the circumstances.

A lot of progress sounds like it's being made, but the docs wants to take a good look at a couple of open agenda items before talking about letting him move to a rehab. He did say he got up and walked (with help) today and was surprised how much better he felt than he expected to.

9. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Tell him Valdosta sports are basically Little League. That'll get him up and about.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it.

I've never (knowingly) met the man, but you never want to see the good people in this business struggle. Hope he recovers fast.

11. HejiraHenry

Saw him with my own eyes today. Seems to be feeling much better. He was much brighter-eyed and didn't labor quite as much to breathe while talking.

And, if my amateur medical status is worth anything, his blood pressure appeared to be back within the normal range.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

But did you bring him a laptop to post here?

Draft saved Draft deleted