1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greg McIlvain

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Aug 12, 2008.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

This is probably not a name that you recognize, but if you work/have worked in Chattanooga or Valdosta or ever hung at the D-II World Series in Montgomery then you might have met him. He's been the lead desker at our paper in Tupelo for a couple of years and is very, very sick right now.

Greg was hospitalized about a week ago after collapsing at work. Last night, in the hospital, he had a heart attack. We do not know the severity of that just yet, but given the overall poor state of his health I'm having some trouble trying to be optimistic about the situation.

Those of you who knew him, if any, may want to make room for him in your prayers if you're so inclined. The rest of you might spare a nice thought for a good guy.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Oh shit.

He was having health struggles seven years ago when I went to work for him in Valdosta.

A damn good boss who would stick his neck out for you and for the product.

3. HejiraHenry

The address at the North Mississippi Medical Center:

830 South Gloster Street
    Tupelo, MS 38801

All I know for sure right now is that he's in the ICU.
    I've gotten caught out of position today, taking care of some business out of town, but I will be back there tomorrow.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Oh, fuck. Holy shit. This hit me out of the blue.

Man, I sure hope everything's OK. Greg's a good dude.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Good luck, Greg.

6. shortstop

shortstop New Member

So sad to hear about Big Greg. I worked with him for four years in Valdosta, and learned a whole lot from him. He remains a good friend of mine.
    He's a good man who worked his tail off in Valdosta (seven-day, 70-hour weeks were frequent for him, especially during our busiest times). I'm sure he did what it took to get the job done in Chattanooga and now Tupelo as well.
    I'll be keeping him in my prayers. Hope he can pull through this. He's never taken good care of himself (he always loved fast food, and never got much exercise), and as DixieHack pointed out, he's had health problems for a few years now. Hopefully he recovers and starts living a healthier lifestyle.
    Please keep us updated on Greg's condition, HejiraHenry. He has many friends in the journalism community. We'll all be rooting for him.

7. FlipSide

FlipSide Member

Very sorry to hear this. Greg is a one of a kind, and I'm fortunate to have worked with him. No one I've ever met has the same passion for college sports of all shapes and sizes.

8. Ira_Schoffel

Ira_Schoffel Member

Greg is a good dude. Man, that's tough to hear. Best wishes big fella.

9. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Shit. Greg is a good guy. Prayers and well wishes from anyone into that kind of thing would be appreciated.

10. HejiraHenry

I don't have any news this afternoon ... which, after yesterday, I'm going to take as a not-bad sign. I have heard from several of you, including a couple of e-mails and calls. I will communicate the well=wishes to Greg when I can.

We'll be checking in again probably first thing in the morning and I'll provide an update.

HH

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Thank you Double-H.

12. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Worked side by side, literally, with Greg in Chattavegas. A great guy with great attention to detail. My prayers are with him.

Draft saved Draft deleted