1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greg Howard butt hurt

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Just the facts ma am, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Whether it's aimless or not, it's not for me to say. But as far as I know, Grantland has never declared itself to be any kind of incubator for longform. That seems like a label people assigned the website, not one it ever laid claim to. An amalgam of sports and pop culture? Sure, it definitely said that was part of its mission statement.

And whatever you think of Grantland, the fact that it's given Brian Phillips wide exposure, when he's one of the best sports writers to come along in a long time, is a great thing.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

What I like about Grantland is that there is always something there that surprises and interests me.

3. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I really like Phillips. Thanks for your thoughts. I probably shouldn't be criticizing the site. It produces stuff way past anything of my abilities and I really enjoy a lot of its content and perspectives, including what Andy Greenwakd and Brian Koppelman bring/brought to their podcasts. And the perspective guys like Alma and you have are really interesting, instructive.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I have no issues with criticism of the site. Good criticism makes for good journalism/writing. Just don't think it's supposed to be a tentpole for longform.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I agree that whatever it was...longform as we think of it wasn't the aim. Nor does it matter than much now. The site has changed for the better.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I figured I'd get some argument. But he sounds like he would be horrific to work for, unless you were in tight with him.

7. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Whitlock appears to be every bit of the insecure clown he comes off as. Shocked he didn't suggest the site be called "Jason Whitlock presents 'The Undefeated'."

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

How do you know he didn't? In fact, I'd lay down money that he did.

Draft saved Draft deleted