1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greg Goossen RIP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mpcincal, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Gossen has had more written about him here than he did his whole baseball career.

2. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

"A field of alfalfa is a great place to lie down and look up at the sky."

I made it a point to buy all the Seattle Pilots baseball cards I could find. Awesome to put faces with the stories.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I wonder if Mr. Talbert has received his share of the prize money that fan won for the grand slam.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"Crissakes Gelnar. You're not going to get them out by drinking Dr. Pepper."

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

That damn Donald Dubois.

6. dooley_womack1

"Steve Hovley sidled up to me and said, 'A base hit is an example of negative feedback.' "

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

If you have a little extra cash, get the Pilots DVD for the same reason. I was amazed at how small Sicks Stadium was.

8. dooley_womack1

Uh oh.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Amazon?

I spent that summer in the Seattle area and saw a few Pilots games. I would love to have that DVD

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sicks (I know it was named after a beer guy, but what a crazy name) was only supposed to be a temporary stadium for the Pilots. However, the Pilots moved so quickly, the park couldn't be built until the Kingdome.

Funny thing, that season, it was only 305' to the left field line. No wonder Ray Oyler hit seven home runs that year with a .165 average.

And speaking of Oyler:

"Guys, I had all the ingredients for a great piece of ass last night. Plenty of time, and a hard-on. All I lacked was a broad."

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Pretty good retrospective of Sicks Stadium here.

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/past/SicksStadium.htm

12. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

In the forward of Ball Four plus Ball Five, Bouton talks about how he gives speeches on college campuses and he is amazed how college kids still quote the book. He should check out this thread. I remember his failed comeback attempt with the Braves, but am not old enough to remember the Astros-Pilots seasons.

Interesting thing about Bouton, also revealed in Ball Four plus Ball Five, he is the inventor of Big League Chew (the bubblegum in a pouch). So he definitely is not hurting for cash.

Draft saved Draft deleted