1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greg Garber's Australian Open Final story. ...

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by The Big Ragu, Jan 29, 2012.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That was terrific until the kicker. The last line left a bad taste in my mouth.

Having said that, I think it could be a contender for APSE's gamer of the year if entered.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

He's real good and always was. Early in our careers, we covered high schools on really small dailies in neighboring counties that overlapped in some towns, so I would see him at games from time to time. I was not at the stage yet that I was trying to predict the careers of anyone, including myself, but all I knew was he worked hard and was very professional. The next (and last) time I saw him was at a Super Bowl media party -- he was at Hartford and I was at a paper in the host city. It's been a pleasure to watch his progress. He had a stop at another local daily before he moved on up to Hartford -- paying his dues the old-fashioned way and making the most of his chances.

4. ringer

ringer Active Member

That was solid, but I thought L.John Wertheim's recap in the hard-copy of SI this week was several notches better. Anyone else?

(I have no allegiance to either writer, either)

5. Mr. Costello

Mr. Costello New Member

First off, either-writer-either is fun to say.

Second, ditto on the close. A little too, "everyone's a winner." Still, for the rest of the piece, I wouldn't enjoy putting something I wrote next to it.

Draft saved Draft deleted