1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greg Doyel On Buzz Williams

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 7, 2014.

1. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

I rarely post here so I'm not really part of any element.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

This group could make a bride throw a beer bottle through a plate glass window on her wedding day.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Does every single story about a person need to mention every single thing that person has ever done, good or bad, alleged or proven? This is one column, maybe 1,000 words, tightly focused on one thing. It is a good thing. At no point do I read it and think that's the total picture of the man, but he shows an unusual level of commitment to this cause.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hey not slamming you. Just marveling that SJ always seems to deliver
    the rest of the story, many times in a way that folks were not expecting.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

...and your point is???

Newbie, this isn't a new story. College sports, recruiting in general, is a cutthroat business. To say that Williams is a "cheater" is basically saying the same thing about Coach K, Bob McKillop at Davidson, et al.

There is nothing wrong with doing the right thing in the community, and willing to whack a fellow league coach at the knees to get a top recruit. Everyone does it.

Everyone, including you and me, can cultivate a personality on the front end, and hide a completely different one behind the curtains.

6. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Does every coach cover for his players when they rape a young woman and keep them on his team? I wonder how the young lady that had her life ruined feels about Saint Buzz? I tend to remember Alford getting crucified over the Pierre Pierce story. As far as "my point", Buzz Williams is a scumbag and a total dick and it pisses me off to see people worshipping a man that has hurt so many people. In fact , this type of thing just enables a bully, the school President and AD "resigned" because they had the audacity to challenge Buzz to have some control over his program. Now, with all that being said, I do believe that he cares about those kids, hence my initial post.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

There's a convicted rapist on his team?

8. BadgerBeer

No.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-10-28/sports/ct-met-marquette-sex-cases-20111028_1_athletes-campus-security-sexual-assault-policies

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/132779248.html

9. cranberry

BadgerBeer, I still don't know what you think the coach did wrong in this situation. Recommend a lawyer for the players' university hearing?

10. BadgerBeer

My bad for bringing this up. I should have just left it alone if I was not willing or able to be open about the situation. I will leave it at that and take any shots coming my way.

11. cranberry

I don't think anyone wants to take shots at you. You're from Wisconsin, or went to school there, I guess, and you obviously don't like the guy. I was just trying to figure out why.

But a national columnist isn't in any way obliged to work that incident (from 3-4 years ago) into a column about the coach's program for special needs folks.

12. BadgerBeer

Actually I never have disliked Buzz. But the more I learn about him and the more I talk to people VERY close to the program the less I want to read about what a wonderful guy he is. But honestly, I should have just not chimed in if I don't feel comfortable being specific.

Draft saved Draft deleted