1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greg Doyel On Buzz Williams

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hope this is not a DB etc, etc.

Great column by Greg Doyel on Buzz Williams.

http://www.cbssports.com/general/writer/gregg-doyel/24433916/humorous-antics-aside-marquette-coach-williams-is-a-positive-force-for-children

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Very nice column. Doyel is getting soft.

3. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Active Member

Good article and for me it shows clearly how we should not look at individuals in an either/or way. Buzz Williams clearly does some very good things and I believe that he truly cares for these young people and that he wants to make a difference. On the other hand I would not trust Buzz Williams as far as I could throw him. His recruiting practices can be shady and there have been some pretty ugly incidents under his watch and at least one was covered up by Buzz and others. I wonder how the young lady involved feels about Buzz.

4. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Not soft. Just lazy.

Perhaps he could have talked to the players who have been run off the team when better options became available.

Or he could have talked to DJ Newbill, who signed but was told before he stepped foot onto the campus (by an assistant) that there was a paperwork issue and no scholarship was available. There was no paperwork issue when Newbill's spot was quickly filled by a player Williams' deemed better, however.

Or he could have talked to the MU student who was allegedly assaulted by several players. The manner in which that alleged incident was swept under the rug so effortlessly was almost as impressive as the Elite Eight run. That run, of course, was led by at least one of the alleged perps.

Williams is a solid coach, who is adept at cultivating a nice image. But pull back the curtains and you won't like what you see.

5. cranberry

I liked this column idea better than any of the ax-to-grind topics you suggest. College sports is a tough business.

6. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Active Member

I agree with the above but don't you think that he genuinely wants to do good by these kids? As I said, I would never trust Buzz, he seems slimy and I believe that he cheats, but like many of us, there is some good and some bad.

7. Boom_70

Always want so badly to read these stories and not see the other shoe drop,
    but it always does.

8. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Then how about providing a bit of, you know, balance? Is Williams, like most of us, a complex individual who does wonderful things yet at times makes horrible decisions?

Ax to grind? Typical response for this place. Anyone who points out that a person (coach/writer/etc) has some serious flaws must have an agenda, an ax to grind.

College sports is a tough business? Being sexually assaulted, allegedly, is tougher. Having the leaders of the school you chose to attend do everything within their power to prevent the issue from reaching the police/DA is reprehensible.

9. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

I can't comment on his intentions with these kids. Whenever he has turned upside down the life of a player he deemed dispensable the comments have been a recording. Family. We love Player A. We'll do all we can to help him through this difficult transition.

The words there don't match the actions so I'm a bit suspicious.

10. cranberry

You should do these stories yourself instead of waiting for a national columnist to swoop in and do them for you.

Doyel's was a very good column about a man who's investing a tremendous amount of time and passion to help special needs folks.

11. Boom_70

Geez by the end of this thread Doyel is going to want to
    punch Buzz Williams in the face.

There is always "and now the rest of the story" element on SJ.

12. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

And I should have handled Winston's case, too. One little problem. That isn't my beat. Nor is Marquette hoops.

But that doesn't disqualify me from noting Williams has some serious issues that can't be explained away with a wave of the hand and the cliche that college sports is a tough business.

I love writing these stories when appropriate. Love reading them, too. But I think we've all found it is important to step carefully. I know I have.

Draft saved Draft deleted